Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Swiss m18/40 helmet

Article about: Hello I recently got an m18/40 helmet for my swiss collection and was wondering if the swiss put any exact manufacture dates on these as only stamps i found were 1,U,IX and K which is the ma

Default Swiss m18/40 helmet

Hello
    I recently got an m18/40 helmet for my swiss collection and was wondering if the swiss put any exact manufacture dates on these as only stamps i found were 1,U,IX and K which is the manufacturer Carl Kyburz, Bern.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swiss m18/40 helmet   Swiss m18/40 helmet  

Swiss m18/40 helmet   Swiss m18/40 helmet  

Absolutely no dates. In fact you often won't find anything at all on the shells, though it is true that Kyburz helmets often have markings. Which don't denote dates. You may - not invariably - find manufacturers stamps on the undersides of the leather liner lobes, and they will include a date (this is more common in the Swiss M40/62 helmets in fact) but all that tells you is when that specific liner set was made, not when it was installed in the shell, and not whether it is an original out of the factory or a later replacement.

It's hard going on impossible to date these helmets except obviously through the actual changes in shell shape, finish and liner, but even then it's not impossible that an original M18 shell could end up with the final pattern '63 type liner and finish.

Good helmets, like them a lot.

Thank you for the answer, i suspected the swiss didn't date mark these.
    One thing i would like to know is what period is my helmet approx because to me it seems like pre 1960s liner?

Your helmet can only be dated in general terms - after 1940 and before 1962 (when the third pattern of liner began manufacture). Of course that does not mean your shell falls into that period, or indeed that the helmet was not assembled/reconditioned somewhat afterwards! It is not easy. (Almost as difficult as seeing the changes in shape of the M18 series shells over the decades.)

Actually I do feel confident in saying that your shell may not be a reconditioned early M18. There is no trace of green pain (often the inside of the shell bowl was not painted) and the present covering is light enough to let us read the stamps, so only one coat, straight out of the factory I think.

If you want to read up about these I absolutely recomend this webpage (which if you use Chrome you can auto-translate if necessary) -
    World War Helmets - Suisse
    The best and most complete information by a long way - much better than any book or any other website. As a swiss helmet fan I must say Claude Sorgius is a Hero!

Thanks a lot i will give it a read