While looking at a recent E-bay pickup I was struck by the oddity of the shell. I knew something was weird but I could not immediately place it. The helmet and liner have both been reworked, the liner is the standard Israeli produced item, with all the webbing and headband replaced with brand new. The liner itself is in pretty poor shape, and when it was reworked they simply drilled out the nape strap rivets and left the holes open. The shell has been reworked as well but this is where things get interesting. The shell has been upgraded from a two point chinstrap to the usual "Kasda" three point system. However, the shell itself isn't the usual US or Israel produced product. Instead, it for all the world appears to be a German M60/62 shell but with neither holes nor nut at the crown. It displays the typical folded over rim of these German helmet styles, which is to my knowledge the only M1 clone to do so. Furthermore, at some point it was fitted with (I think) crude fixed bales. It's very clear these were not done at the manufacturer. The remaining stubs are very much off center and not even remotely correctly sited across from one another on the shell. At rework, they were clearly simply cut off with a grinding wheel (inadvertently chopping into the helmet rim in the process)and the new three point harness points attached, correctly this time.
The shell has seen better days and is dented and the gray-green color paint is flaking off showing unprimed steel below. The whole feeling I get from the helmet is that the people working on it just didn't care. Considering we've seen evidence that the Israeli Government uses criminal prisoners to do such work (there's a US Kevlar with a tag that says it was reworked in a prison in the Israeli helmet thread) I guess that shouldn't be a great shock.
Has anyone else seen one of these German style shells being used by Israel? i know that the Iranians had some standard M60 helmets during the Iran-Iraq wars but those would either have rivet holes or the remains of the post in the crown which this does not. It seems to be a blank shell the Israelis got from, or had made by, Germany at some point.
Very unusual Israeli M1 shellVery unusual Israeli M1 shellVery unusual Israeli M1 shellVery unusual Israeli M1 shellVery unusual Israeli M1 shellVery unusual Israeli M1 shell