Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam War VC Helmet Inquiry

Article about: Hello all, I hope this message finds you well. I came across this piece recently and I'm wondering if you would feel comfortable placing it as a war period piece. Its being offered at \\$80, h

Default Vietnam War VC Helmet Inquiry

Hello all,

I hope this message finds you well. I came across this piece recently and I'm wondering if you would feel comfortable placing it as a war period piece. Its being offered at $80, however I suspect I could acquire it for near $50 should it be of any interest. I would really like to add a combat used example to my collection but am unsure if this it it. Thank you and warmest of wishes.

It is always impossible to tell with these helmets... unless of course you have cast-iron provenance attached with it. It could have been made years after the end of the war, and to purchase one is a giant leap of faith.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    It is always impossible to tell with these helmets... unless of course you have cast-iron provenance attached with it. It could have been made years after the end of the war, and to purchase one is a giant leap of faith.

Cheers,
    Steve
    I agree 100%

Many people still wear these in that region and they are being made as we speak!

They often appear on fairs in UK (suspicious in itself) sometimes beaten up and weathered sometimes still in factory plastic wrappers. Now if that isn't a red flag I don't know what is!!!

As Steve says provenance is essential and for my money only totally bomb-proof provenance will do, not even "gut feeling" that's how dodgy these are!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you both so much for the insight on this. I think for the money I'll just save a little more and purchase one down the road from one of our forum sponsors or another reputable source. Many thanks again to you both and the warmest of wishes.

they didnt waste anything in Vietnam, most wartime era sun helmets would have been used up or rotted away by now

the helmet shown is probably something used after the war to current day, these are one of the most faked items available, save your money.

Good advice. Vietnam has had a significant war reproduction industry since the 1990's and these sun helmets have never not been in production.

This topic comes up regularly....here's a snap in Hanoi...'actually taken for what we thought was the certain death of a rickshaw operator (it wasn't!)...but the helmets are everywhere....£3 brand new to tourists at Cu Chi or aged, dusty and damaged in "Militaria" shops for about £20. They're everywhere....mostly worn as just sun hats.

...and they slot together well for the suitcase!