Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnamese Pith Hat

Article about: Bought this Vietnamese Pith hat a long while back at a sale. I am no expert in Vietnam War militaria and for the longest time I have wondered if it's a pre or post war production, as many of

Default Vietnamese Pith Hat

Bought this Vietnamese Pith hat a long while back at a sale. I am no expert in Vietnam War militaria and for the longest time I have wondered if it's a pre or post war production, as many of the postwar that's are being passed as originals today. Thanks for reading.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnamese Pith Hat   Vietnamese Pith Hat  

Vietnamese Pith Hat   Vietnamese Pith Hat  

Vietnamese Pith Hat  

We've got a Vietnam War thread in another section of the forum. With my limited experience in Vietnamese pith helmets, though, I'd say this is possibly a safe bet. If someone wanted to pass something off as an original, my guess is they'd make it look a bit more desirable. (Have the complete suspension, make the thing look like it hadn't been left in the ground for 20 years). This could possibly be a civilian pith that you could see farmers and whatnot living in countrysides wearing so as to how old it is, I really can't say.. Don't take my word for it, though. Wait until some more well versed folks can chime in with their own opinions. Cheers!

Very difficult to be certain. I have one that looks the same that I bought new in Thailand in 1991. Without provenance very difficult to be sure the of age of these. The ones being made in the early 1990's were the same as the Vietnam war era helmets.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Very difficult to be certain. I have one that looks the same that I bought new in Thailand in 1991. Without provenance very difficult to be sure the of age of these. The ones being made in the early 1990's were the same as the Vietnam war era helmets.
    Agree. I was in Vietnam a few years back. They cater to the "souvenir" hunters. Saw many similar "aged" Piths being hawked in each place we visited.

Can't provide comments on the OP's.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Sun helmet looks correct but the real test is the buckle originals can not be bent by squeezing , post war buckles are very thin.

Sadly the buckle is missing