MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Vz. 32 mysterious holes

Article about: Hello I want to identify a helmet I recently bought from a seller for just 8 euros He told me It was a Czech helmet, and that I could take it for a low price just because it had damage on th

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    What does the inside of the holes look like?

Not sure why this is in the German steel helmet section. I will move it later when I'm back
    Inside of the holes look just like on the outside. That's why I don't think they're bullet holes
    the second lower hole has some sort of crack around it

The post is in the german helmet section because I didn't know where else to put it

?

I don't think they are bullet holes and look too low and large for a badge of any kind.
    Can you show a photo of the inside. I've never seen a Czech helmet with rivets like this, are they just filling the holes of the standard split pins?

My outside bet is that it had a handle fixed to it at some point and used as a scoop or ladle for something.
    Steve.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Tinhat View Post

My outside bet is that it had a handle fixed to it at some point and used as a scoop or ladle for something.
    I think that is a very good guess.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    I don't think they are bullet holes and look too low and large for a badge of any kind.
    Can you show a photo of the inside. I've never seen a Czech helmet with rivets like this, are they just filling the holes of the standard split pins?

Steve.
    It is a pretty good guess but I don't think this could be used for any ladle other than a spaghetti strainer since there is a hole on the dome, here are some more photos of the inside:

Vz. 32 mysterious holes

Here is the weird crack on the lower hole:
    Vz. 32 mysterious holes

While we're here, I'd like to mention that this helmet has small strange differences like the rivets being flat and smaller than a Vz.32 or that the chinstrap lugs have no washer

Here is a rivet, it does not have a split end on the inside of the helmet almost like it's been hammered:
    Vz. 32 mysterious holes

?

Pretty weird that a Czech helmet made it's way here in Macedonia, we never used it and Czechoslovakia was pretty far away

Well, not impossible that it might have started as one of the Yugoslav-made copies of the vz.32, known to collectors if not officially as the 'cacak' helmet, after the place it was made. But none of the images I have seen have the flat heads to the liner pins shown on this one, they all looy very similar if not identical to the Czech original.

here are two references - not a lot more information on the web, but searching for photos will get results -

Yugoslavian M39 "Čačak" helmet

Cacak – Steel Helmets of the World Wars

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Well, not impossible that it might have started as one of the Yugoslav-made copies of the vz.32, known to collectors if not officially as the 'cacak' helmet, after the place it was made. But none of the images I have seen have the flat heads to the liner pins shown on this one, they all looy very similar if not identical to the Czech original.

here are two references - not a lot more information on the web, but searching for photos will get results -

Yugoslavian M39 "Čačak" helmet

Cacak – Steel Helmets of the World Wars
    I am familiar with the Чачак however I originally dismissed it since it is pretty rare
    It could very well be yugoslav, especially since both mine and M39 don't gave washers around the liner lugs

As for the flat pins, I cannot find anything relating to Vz or Чачак helmets having flat pins, even post war Vzs don't have them.
    They don't look like split pins to me, on the inside of the helm they look like this:

Vz. 32 mysterious holes
    I speculate that the original pins were lost and somebody put these crudely made blobs of steel in their place.

Very confusing...In the thread mentioned in one of the links, a member said : My M39 Çaçak is in distinctly ruinous condition, but one apparent distinguishing feature is that the rivet attaching the chin-strap lug has no washer, unlike Czech-made vz.32s.
    So mine would be yougoslavian too according to that...?

Oeps....i made a mistake : in fact, there is a washer in the rivet attaching the chin-strap lug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vz. 32 mysterious holes  

?

Late to respond, busy weekend, I keep forgetting about the 'cacak" model. To me it seems that a rivet on the chinstrap fixing is the best identifier (I think it allows it to swivel, more important feature for a helmet with a chin cup).

Because the rivets are hammered tight to the shell, they couldn't have been used to hold anything in place, I think they've been used to block the holes which puts me back to the scoop theory.

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2