Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

What model and country for this helmet?

Article about: Greetings! I've had this helmet for over 15+ years in my collection, yet have never tried ti ID the country and model. I was hoping to ask the hive mind here about the model and country. Her

Question What model and country for this helmet?

Greetings!

I've had this helmet for over 15+ years in my collection, yet have never tried to ID the country and model.
    I was hoping to ask the "hive mind" here about the model and country.
    Here are the photos.

Thank you in advance!

What model and country for this helmet?What model and country for this helmet?
    Last edited by rogueX18; 01-14-2021 at 11:58 PM.

This is a Swiss helmet. The Model 48/62 for use by mechanized troops and despatch riders.

Cheers,
    Emile

Unusual to see one with a camouflage paint job. Almost all black (early) or green (later). I did for a moment wonder whether this is one of the large number that ended up with the Croat army in the 1990s wars, but that seems unlikely as it looks to have had an easy life. Then again, you are in Croatia, so... Good helmet anyway, one of my favourites.

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    This is a Swiss helmet. The Model 48/62 for use by mechanized troops and despatch riders.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Thank you!

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Unusual to see one with a camouflage paint job. Almost all black (early) or green (later). I did for a moment wonder whether this is one of the large number that ended up with the Croat army in the 1990s wars, but that seems unlikely as it looks to have had an easy life. Then again, you are in Croatia, so... Good helmet anyway, one of my favourites.
    The story goes like this. My grandma knew a collector somewhere near Krašić, and he gave her this helmet to give to me (since I was very young I had an interest in all things military). From there on, it was in my posession. This was all post the Homeland war.
    At first I thought it was used during the war, but the wear-and-tear is barely noticeable. The camo paint, I thought was made then, but again, I do not know. And as you said, it had a very easy life. It is possible that this one ended up here in Croatia with the intent to be used and someone applied camo paint on it, but never saw action and was either taken care of by the original owner, or it got into the hands of a collector instead of seeing service.

And thank you for replying to this thread!

I also think that it was painted before or during the War in Croatia. As collector I have find and owned quite few helmets that were painted in some kind of camouflage by the soldiers, especially in first days of the War. Often that were Yugoslav M59, DDR M56/76 or the polish wz53. Moreover I didn't see this one in camo paint, only with sprayed on croatian decal, but all of the swiss helmets of this type, that I owned had original Green rough textured paint.