Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet Cover

Article about: I don't usually venture into this part of the forum, but I own a reproduction M1 Helmet Mitchell cover and a post Vietnam helmet as a prop for a shortfilm. I have tried to put the cover onto

Default M1 Helmet Cover

I don't usually venture into this part of the forum, but I own a reproduction M1 Helmet Mitchell cover and a post Vietnam helmet as a prop for a shortfilm. I have tried to put the cover onto the helmet but it seems a little unfit, so to say. There are multiple wrinkles in the cover and the chinstraps are also covered so I had cut holes in it to pull them through. It looks decent but i'd rather not have many wrinkles in the cover. I have seen photos where there cover is perfectly smooth and fits just right. Anyone have any tips to help with this?

Thanks for any help I get.

Photos of my helmet: M1 Helmet Cover

M1 Helmet Cover

M1 Helmet Cover

Try soaking the cover in hot water and then letting it dry on the helmet. It will shape and form and the wrinkles will be removed...

We used to soak our covers for our steel pots as well as our Kevlar's so the cover would fit better...

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Try soaking the cover in hot water and then letting it dry on the helmet. It will shape and form and the wrinkles will be removed...

We used to soak our covers for our steel pots as well as our Kevlar's so the cover would fit better...

Smitty
    Exactly the same thing I was going to say...

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Tried that already but I appreciate the input! Can't think of any other ways i'd do it..

You have to remember when the covers were originally applied you would handle the helmet ALOT, hands rubbing across the helmet, the helmet would get wet on marches if it rained. The cover will set its self to a point after wear and breaking it in.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td