Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2oth estonian ss division reunion?

Article about: Do any of you gents who live in Estonia remember what happened at this meeting on 28/8/92? Was it a friendly get-to-gether, or were the police called to quell the violence? Just curious. Wha

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Default 2oth estonian ss division reunion?

Do any of you gents who live in Estonia remember what happened at this meeting on 28/8/92? Was it a friendly get-to-gether, or were the police called to quell the violence? Just curious. What is the signifigence of that date? I see it on the flag, too. Under the foto is the back of the foto.
    Attached Images Attached Images 2oth estonian ss division reunion?  2oth estonian ss division reunion? 

?

Default Re: 2oth estonian ss division reunion?

There every year they meet in some places of Estonia. For about a month ago, there was meeting and Nugiseks got a gold medal ( now he is in rank of captain of reserve) from the grateful Estonian peoples, is not an official goverment award, but he also has some of the goverment awards too,
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Who is Herr Dorr? Have you heard of him?
    Quote by Dimas View Post
    There every year they meet in some places of Estonia, for about a month ago, there was meeting and Nugiseks got a gold medal ( now he is in rank of captain of reserve) from the grateful Estonian peoples, is not an official goverment award, but he also has some of the goverment awards too,

?

Herr Dorr is whoever Harald Nugiseks sent this signed photo to !!

The Estonian SS Veterans hold a number of ceremonies each year in different locations throughout Estonia.

Why would there be violence and the Police need to be called ?

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

This is absolutely official organization of veterans in Estonia
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Every country has their veteran organisations, I don't understand why the police would need to be involved? We have our returned soldiers organisations here in Australia, never heard of any of them ever needing police or anything to keep them in line, I can't see why it would be any different in Estonia

You have to bear in mind the political situation in Estonia and the country's history.

Estonia was an independant state. Invaded by the Soviet Union in 1940. Invaded by the Germans in 1941. But from 1945 until the fall of the Soviet Union it was again part of the Soviet Empire.

So you will have some parts of the population who regard these Vets as traitors and others who regard them as freedom fighters.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

Thank you for the background it is very much appreciated So, do feeling still run a bit high these days with both sides?

Cheers,

Grant

tony
    ?

I imagine this would be a problem in a lot of countries who were invaded by Germany and who's people decided to or were forced into fighting for the SS. Countries like Holland, Norway, France (Vichy), Latvia even the Ukraine, Russia and other countries invaded by Germany. Understandebly there is still a lot of tension and feeling about the SS even to this day in these countries. I think most people who fought in the regular German army (Wermacht) would not have this problem. I believe that our 'rats of Tobruk' from here in Australia had many a reunion after the war with their German counterparts. Unlike the SS, most of the Wermacht and it's leaders like Rommel were well respected by their enemies.

?

A very complicated issue here but is isn't broadly true that the Estonians didn't want to fight for the Germans !!

Most Estonians wanted to fight to protect Estonia and regain independance and having lived under Soviet rule prior to Barbarossa had decided that the Germans were the lesser of the two evils and many volunteered to join German formations as early as 19412 /42 when the Eastern / Police and Security Batalions were formed, Estonian Security Btl 36 fought in the Stalingrad area in late 1942 !!

Some went to Finland to fight the Russians there due to the close ties to the Finns.

Many men from these units formed the Estonian Legion which formed on 29/9/42 the Legion went on to fight in the Nevel front. The I Btl of the Legion became Batttalion " Narva " on 31/3/43 and fought with the Wiking Division in the Ukraine and the Cherkassy pocket replacing the Finnish Btl ,until it returned to Estonia in early 1944 when it became the Fusilier Btl of the 20th Estonian SS Divison.

The so called " Finnish boys " of the Finnish IR 200 returned to Estonia on 19/8/44 as Finland was on the brink of a peace agreement with the Russians. Understandably as they were to become part of 20 SS Div all other ranks were given SS Uniforms but the officers retained their grey Finnish ones. They saw action in the Tartu area.

Have spoken to Estonian veterans who fought with the Germans many of whom are members of German vet organisations , they are proud of their service and the fact that as members of the Waffen SS they were given excellent training and weopons to defend their homeland.

Of course many Estonians who were deported in 1940/41 to Russia ended up serving with the Red Army in the 8th Estonian Rifle Corps , one of their biggest battles was at Veliki Luki, these Veterans also are proud of their service and the choice they made . Harald Nugiseks was an Estonian Ritterkreuztrager , one of five but the only one still alive , however Heroes of the Soviet Uniuon fron the Estonian Rifle Corps are still alive and live in Estonia.

Unfortunately in modern Estonia there are many issues between native born Estonians and the Russian / Estonian population who are not treated very well in general by the Estonian Government even though many of them consider themselves to be Estonian by Nationality but Russian by descent, i'm sure Dimas could explain the issues better than me

As i said a very complicated issue !!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast