Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2oth estonian ss division reunion?

Article about: Do any of you gents who live in Estonia remember what happened at this meeting on 28/8/92? Was it a friendly get-to-gether, or were the police called to quell the violence? Just curious. Wha

?

Default Re: 2oth estonian ss division reunion?

The soldiers is allways soldiers- the politics make from them heroes. The all politics made by USSR was told that a German soldier just a occupant and it's still in the heads of the ex-soviet vet's- They still think that the German soldier is still invader and murder...
    Also the same situation in Estonia now, the both enemy sides are not a friends, despite they both speaks in Estonian...
    Other history fact: after the Soviets mobilized Estonians to the Red Army- in the mid war a lot of them has been deserted to the German side, then continued the service in the 20 Waff.Gren div d SS, after the fall of the Blue Hills and Tartu battlefield, they was turned to abandone Estonia and mostof division was sent to Silesia, but a lot of soldiers understand who win in that war and deserted to the home, after Estonia was cleared from Germans, the Soviets conscript them again to the Estonian Rifle corps and send them again to the battles... Only after the war they got some years in the prisons for the service in foreign armies

Paul, we are historians and better I'll stay away from politics to make a decission of what is good and what is not, due of I have also only my IMHO, which can be wrong... The best of the best- I will read about that in the history books which will be written by neutral historians over 30 years
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hi Grant, yes feeling still do run high. This is compounded by the fact that many Russians moved to Estonia in post war Soviets times.

Hi Tony, I think that relationship between the British & Commonwealth Vets have with the German DAK Vets is somewhat unique. The desert was a different kind of war not involving civilians and was on the whole fought according to the rules of war.

In Western Europe foreign Waffen SS Vets are generally regarded as traitors and not freedom fighters. Those who volunteered in the East are now, locally at least, seen in a different light.

Cheers, Ade.

?

True Dimas, no politics here only History, we have had the other discussions on our Wodka nights

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi guys, I can see how complicated it can become. Thank you all for the quick history lessons Our Rats do have a lot of respect for the DAK guys, but perhaps to put it mildly, the same can't be said for the guys who ended up under the Japanese. I have never met a ex pow who could to this day deal with an older Japanese person..... I guess if we weren't there it is very hard to walk in their shoes.

?

That's true Ade, due of the battle in Afrika is just a warwithout political ambitions and civil casualities
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

tony
    ?

What a crazy world we live in! Paul, Dimas and Adrian thank you for your enlightening comments. Most people here in Australia have no idea of these complicated issues overseas. Over the years we have had a lot of people immigrate here from all over the world. Thankfully most of them leave their old confrontations with others behind. And because of our isolation from the rest of the world, ignorance is bliss for most people over here. Former Yugoslavia is another area torn between allegiances. The Serbs with the Russians and the Croats fighting alongside Germans. When in the police force I once worked with a detective of Croation descent. He absolutely hated Serbs. And not to mention the middle east mess. I try to have the view that it was not so much the German people at fault, but the ruling Nazis at the time. The soldiers and armies are merely instruments used by politicians to achieve their goals. Sadly I doubt much of this tension will ever dissipate. Look at the middle east. A lot of their hatred goes back centuries.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

I saw the policeman in the foto, that's why I was wondering if it was a peaceful meeting, or something else. I didn't mean of offend anybody. I am still curious why the guy who wrote to me has "It's all about Hans Dorr" as his signature, but will not tell me about it. Then this foto was inscribed to Herr Dorr. Maybe it's a different Herr Dorr.

?

Waffen SS Schwertertrager Hans Dorr Commander of the Germania Regiment was KIA in April 1945 so Nugiseks definately didn't send the photo to him.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Veterans pin of the Battaillon Narva

regards

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images 2oth estonian ss division reunion? 

1st July 1916

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

So tell me, please, is this Harald Nugiseks signature on the back of my foto?
    Quote by odessa1 View Post
    Do any of you gents who live in Estonia remember what happened at this meeting on 28/8/92? Was it a friendly get-to-gether, or were the police called to quell the violence? Just curious. What is the signifigence of that date? I see it on the flag, too. Under the foto is the back of the foto.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast