Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone know anything about this uniform?

Article about: I have a pic of my husbands grandfather in a military uniform. He lived in Russia until 1907 when he immigrated to America. We assume this is a Russian uniform. There is no family stories of

?

Default Anyone know anything about this uniform?

I have a pic of my husbands grandfather in a military uniform. He lived in Russia until 1907 when he immigrated to America. We assume this is a Russian uniform. There is no family stories of him being in the military, and nobody know why we have the picture. I have scoured the internet trying to find a uniform that matches his without any success. Does anyone recognize the uniform so I can figure out which branch or duty he was in so I can research further?
    Anyone know anything about this uniform?

The things on his shoulders ( i forget what they are called) remind me of a musicians uniform. Do you know if he played an instrument?

I agree. The Drummer always had "shoulder guards" under his epaulettes.

?

The shoulder "wings" for musicians were called swallows nests in the German Army.
    Clearly, this is an NCO, likely a sergeant, given the braid on the shoulder boards & the collar.
    Hard to say what branch; Russian uniforms changed greatly around 1907-1908, back to the more European style from the traditional Russian style implemented by the late Alexander III.
    The all white cap is inusual, unless it's a cover for warmer months, worn in the field.
    I cannot determine arm of service from the photo.

BobS

Pre-1908 uniform. Looks like a painting either directly over a photo or a direct copy from a photo. Anyways, looks like the artist omitted any identifying letters/numbers on the shoulder straps, so further identifying a regiment or unit is now out of reach.

Looks like there was printing on the front below the picture. Anything the OP can add about that, or back markings on the picture?