Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cossack Shashka ???

Article about: Hello All, I have been running into some "Odd Birds" lately! I am being offered what I believe is a Russian Shaska without a scabbard. I am not familiar with these types of weapons

Default Cossack Shashka ???

Hello All, I have been running into some "Odd Birds" lately! I am being offered what I believe is a Russian Shaska without a scabbard. I am not familiar with these types of weapons as they are out of my areas of collecting. I have viewed a site which sells reproductions but if this is indeed a reproduction it has been altered to appear as an original. There is no scabbard. I was hoping to get some feedback about this piece before I make an irreversible Guess! My pockets are not deep but as they say ... Knowledge is power and You can't have one of everything. Any and all help
    would be appreciated!

Regards, Geoff

????
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cossack Shashka ???   Cossack Shashka ???  

Cossack Shashka ???   Cossack Shashka ???  

Cossack Shashka ???  

Russian Cossack shaska m1881. Oldest pommel variant, but people often dont classify it. Deep beaked end-curve.
    Looks alright to me, patina in brass looks old and quite deeply ingrained.
    Also scratches on pommel are on the "right" place, blade right side (unstamped side) was held carrying against user body, side where wear comes from hitting belts and equipment.

?

There could be number engraved on the guard by dots, the maker should be Zlatoust, even not extra well visible, it would be nice to see details, 1894 year of production. P in circle is for acceptance.

Thank you both kindly for the quick response! I will try to get some better photos.

I truly appreciate the help!

G.

Acknowledging that there are reproductions, from what I can see so far this one looks OK. Best Regards, Fred