Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Rare Order Medal For Diligence? WW1 Nicholas II medal

Article about: Hello everyone, I found this medal and I need opinions. I have been informing myself but most of the forums that talk about this medal are in Russian and I do not understand it well. Accordi

Default Rare Order Medal For Diligence? WW1 Nicholas II medal

Hello everyone, I found this medal and I need opinions. I have been informing myself but most of the forums that talk about this medal are in Russian and I do not understand it well. According to what I have been able to investigate, there were two models, one smaller and the other 50 mm, which would be this case. Being as I understand it quite rare, and this being a good deal, because despite its condition the seller leaves it to me for 25 dollars. What puzzles me is that initially these were made of gold and silver, and this one seems to be made of bronze, so I doubt its originality, but I have also seen bronze in Russian forums but I have not been able to find much information. Thank you for your answers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare Order Medal For Diligence? WW1 Nicholas II medal   Rare Order Medal For Diligence? WW1 Nicholas II medal  

?

Good afternoon, colleague.
    Let me try to explain to you.
    And so, in order, about the main thing (for understanding):
    1 - there is a state coinage of medals - this is a classic, this is what you need to collect - this is a state award of the Russian Empire
    2 - there are duplicate state awards - they were made at the state mint in case of loss of the original medal - it also makes sense to collect them
    3 - there are medals made by large well-known private workshops (they have only 1-2 varieties) - for example, Kuchkin's firm from Moscow - are also interesting for collectors
    4 - there are smaller private workshops that made piece medals for individuals (for example, if the medal was lost or broken) - such medals usually have hallmarks (nominal - i.e. the mark of a particular master) - some collectors collect such medals
    5 - there are medals without hallmarks and/or in incomprehensible metal and/or with a "similar" image - this is by and large historical garbage - no one will ever be able to guarantee their originality! Yes, they can be rusty and look very worn - BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM ORIGINALS! Such medals were made for film studios, and for theaters, and simply as fakes for sale - no one knows who, when and for what purpose made these medals.

Your copy (bronze with traces of gilding) belongs to category 5 - this is definitely not a state medal. But, if this is not important to you, you can buy for modest money.

I believe this copy was made for some theater.

?

Let me show you the original

And exactly the same copy as yours (positioned as a private work - made by an unknown person and in what years - most likely in the 1990s to deceive collectors)