Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Russian dagger from the fortress of Sveaborg in Helsinki

Article about: My granddad served in the Finnish army in Sveaborg in the 1930´s. He found this dagger in a basement of the fort and brought it home as a souvenir. Could someone please help in identifying i

Jan
    ?

Default Russian dagger from the fortress of Sveaborg in Helsinki

My granddad served in the Finnish army in Sveaborg in the 1930´s. He found this dagger in a basement of the fort and brought it home as a souvenir. Could someone please help in identifying it and especially the letters and crown on the scabbard.

Cheers Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian dagger from the fortress of Sveaborg in Helsinki   Russian dagger from the fortress of Sveaborg in Helsinki  

Russian dagger from the fortress of Sveaborg in Helsinki  

Default Re: Russian dagger from the fortress of Sveaborg in Helsinki

Not pretty, typical Russian style, nice & original but is what it is.

Jan
    ?

Yeah it is what it is, still like to know about the initials on the scabbard. As Finland was part of Russia from 1809-1917 lots of russian troops were stationed at the Seafortress of Sveaborg (outside Helsinki, Finland). Family and local history combined . I added a few pics and a short story about the first commander of the fortress.

"Augustin Ehrensvärd (25th September 1710 – 4th October 1772) was the main planner and the first commandant of Sveaborg. Ehrensvärd directed the planning and implementation of the fortification work very independently and decided to make Sveaborg into a bastion fortification whose low fortification devices are as strictly hidden from the enemy as possible.
    In addition to fortifications and bastions, Ehrensvärd’s influence is apparent in Suomenlinna’s other features too. Ehrensvärd received various plant species from his close friend Carl von Linné, and he planted them in his garden on Viapori from where they have spread to the whole of Finland.

Ehrensvärd was burried on Viapori sixteen years after his death. Gustav III, the king of Sweden and Ehrensvärd’s Godson designed the grave monument himself and laid the vault’s keystone with a silver trowel.

Ehrensvärd’s memory was greatly honoured and he was seen as a very important man. An unknown person inscribed on a rock in Hanko’s Tuliniemi the following text: ”Aug. Ehrensvärd saknas altid af Finland” – Finland will always miss Aug. Ehrensvärd."

Cheers Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images Russian dagger from the fortress of Sveaborg in Helsinki  Russian dagger from the fortress of Sveaborg in Helsinki 

Jan,

This is looks like a Russian naval officers dagger. Here are some examples: TSARS ARSENAL - Russian Imperial swords, sabres, dirks, daggers, uniforms, orders, medals, badges
    The letters are G and F. The handle is surely not original and I have my doubts about the blade as well, it seems to be some other unknown dagger. So the dagger and the sheath may be combined later. Russian imperial daggers are very rare and expensive, so even a sheath is a great item to have!

Cheers,

Evgeni

Jan
    ?

Thanks a lot Evgeni, when looking at the pictures you provided it seems you are absolutely right! The blade is a little too long for sheath too and I have a gut feeling my grandfather made and added the handle. Thank you very much for your input!

Cheers Jan

Always welcome! I would try to get the dagger (and maybe even a hanger) for the sheath. It has great potential to become an awesome piece.

Jan
    ?

Similar type of dagger (or actually the sheath) as worn by russian naval officers.

Cheers Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images Russian dagger from the fortress of Sveaborg in Helsinki 

?

I quite like that. Nice background too.
    Is the blade cruciform shaped, it looks that way?
    Maybe its theater made - possibly from a bayonet and using a 'recycled' factory made sheath.
    If yes, that does not deduct an iota from the dagger IMO.
    Hope you treasure this dagger with great family story to it.
    EDIT: Just now looked at Evgenis excellent link (always take cues from those who know!): Looks like a dagger in the link has a similar blade as the dagger in the OP, so maybe its only the handle, that has been retrofitted, when the original handle broke.

Great pictures Jan! It is a nice item indeed. The form of the blade is not so common for these type of daggers, but more importantly the guard of the dagger is made of steel and is very different from the guards I have seen. Usually the guard has a much better finish and is made of brass. The blade of the dagger seems to be longer (also mentioned by Jan) than the sheath. I would agree with Scout that it might be made of some kind of 19th bayonet (like the french one here: 19th Century French Lebel Bayonet Ref 3870). The steel of the blade looks very HQ in comparison to the guard that is probably attached later to make a dagger out of it. Hence, it is possible that you granddad found the sheath and some old bayo and made a dagger out of it by shortening the bayo, giving it another handle and putting it into the sheath he found. You can check thin hypothesis by having a very close look at the way the blade is attached to the guard and the handle (you can also post some pics )

nbolinger
    ?

Nice Dagger, here is mine that i got last week.Attachment 355523

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast