MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Russian Uniform – Identification and Age?

Article about: Please help me identify this Russian military uniform. The person in the picture is of a family member but I have no other details. The first letter on the shoulder boards is visible and app

Jackalope
    ?

Default Russian Uniform – Identification and Age?

Please help me identify this Russian military uniform. The person in the picture is of a family member but I have no other details. The first letter on the shoulder boards is visible and appears to be a Russian B. There are 3 stripes above. Any facts will be appreciated. I would like to know the branch of service, rank, approximate time in history, and any other interesting facts. Thank you.

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Uniform – Identification and Age?  

?

Default Re: Russian Uniform – Identification and Age?

That is the tunic for enlisted and NCO's personel. Rank senior unteroficer, most probably artillery. The tunic itself in black color, piping must be red, first letter B- most probably Batareinaya rota.
    Due of highest quality of the pictures- you can make a nice scans in the big resolution, that would be great to see the close up of buttons, buckle and shoulder strap
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Jackalope
    ?

Smile Re: Russian Uniform – Identification and Age?

Thank you so much for your quick and very informative reply, Dimas!

I do not have the original photo with me at this moment but I will be happy to rescan the details and post them for you tomorrow.

Nick

Jackalope
    ?

Quote by Jackalope View Post
    Thank you so much for your quick and very informative reply, Dimas!

I do not have the original photo with me at this moment but I will be happy to rescan the details and post them for you tomorrow.

Nick
    Hello, Dimas.

As promised, here are more detailed scans. I am told this is my Grandfather's brother, so I'm guessing the photo is from around 1910, unless you think otherwise? Thank you.

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian Uniform – Identification and Age?   Russian Uniform – Identification and Age?  

Russian Uniform – Identification and Age?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Russian Uniform – Identification and Age? 

?

Looks like the second is D, and probably the straps with blue piping- probably cavalry...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Jackalope
    ?

Thank you, Dimas. I can see the D now that you pointed it out.

Nick

?

This guy is for sure not a cavalryman - he wears a standard M1907 parade tunic for non-cavalry troops. Judging by details of his uniform we can exclude ALL Guards units, all Line Infantry and Rifles, all Artillery, and Engineers. It's a kind of auxiliary unit, and it will take some time to "translate" his shoulder-board.

Jackalope
    ?

Quote by Aceton View Post
    This guy is for sure not a cavalryman - he wears a standard M1907 parade tunic for non-cavalry troops. Judging by details of his uniform we can exclude ALL Guards units, all Line Infantry and Rifles, all Artillery, and Engineers. It's a kind of auxiliary unit, and it will take some time to "translate" his shoulder-board.
    Thank you for providing a solid chronological date for the tunic, Aceton, and for narrowing down the possibilities! I am anxiously waiting any more details that you, or anyone else can come up with.

Nick

?

Sorry, Nick, to finish the time frame, I have forget to tell that the photo is taken MORE LIKELY before 1913, because new model of tunics was introduced in this year. But I have no information what percentage of troops started to wear new uniforms instead of M1907 before the war started.

?

Ohhh... shame on me... Forget to note that the font used on the shoulder-board allow us to say for sure that the photo was made after May, 1911, because the new Military Department Order #228 was officially declared on this day, changing the system of inscriptions on Russian shoulderboards, and what is very important for us - changing the font of letters and digits.
    So, we have a very short period when this photo was taken: summer 1911 - 1913.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.