Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Austro/Hungarian dagger

Article about: I've seen and been offered a fighting dagger. Seller provides two photos. I see one marking on blade that I am unsure of. I have been trying to research here in the forum about these. Any he

Default Austro/Hungarian dagger

I've seen and been offered a fighting dagger. Seller provides two photos. I see one marking on blade that I am unsure of. I have been trying to research here in the forum about these. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

The scabbard to me looks like one reproduction I have seen before and the steel of the blade looks pretty fresh.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austro/Hungarian dagger   Austro/Hungarian dagger  

Hello, nice piece. In my opinion scabbard is correct. Original, not reproduction.

I will ask seller for better pictures of the fraktur marking..looks like a letter b possibly? Seller hasn't responded yet.

It could be R. Daggers with R are Austrian made. Those with no letter are Hungarian made

I will try to look into this further. I am weary because the steel blade looks kind of new and the wood handle looks smooth newish kinda.
    Fraktur marking almost looks like letter S as well. hard to tell

I like it, I have another one austrian made by WMF and except for the personalization of the handle is almost identical, nice catch!

Nacho

Default Sturmmesser 17

Greetings,

Agreed with the others' observations. Looks like a fine set IMHO without any doubt as to its originality. Agreed too, the manufacture's mark appears to be an "R" which would indicate Resicka of Vienna. Additionally, there are two unknown manufactures' marks one is block letter style "S" and the other a similar styled "B", one of which your shared mark may upon closer inspection turn out to be. Better resolution images of the mark will facilitate determining which manufacture it is.

Best,

V/r Lance

Guys thanks now we'll see if the seller will get back to me.