?

Default Crusade against Communism with Clasp

Romanian type with clasp "Dobrogea"

Crusade against Communism with Clasp

?

German (C E Juncker made) type - no "P Grant", with Clasp "Crimea"

Crusade against Communism with Clasp

?

Award document to a German medical NCO for the Medal with Crimeia Clasp. Note it specifies the clasp is silvered.
    San Komp 1/24 was part of 24 Infanterie Division, heavily involved in the Siege of Sebastopol.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crusade against Communism with Clasp  

About 1 million of these medals have been produced. In the Crimea, very many were awarded to both the Romanian and German military.

?

It is sad that so little hard information about this interesting award is available. Large numbers awarded yet the clasps seem rare and expensive. No info appears to be available on the numbers of clasps and conflicting opinions on the reason for the silvered and gilt versions of the clasps.

Quote by Redcap View Post
    It is sad that so little hard information about this interesting award is available. Large numbers awarded yet the clasps seem rare and expensive. No info appears to be available on the numbers of clasps and conflicting opinions on the reason for the silvered and gilt versions of the clasps.
    I guess as a version - golden for combatant, and silver notcombatant military.

?

I don't think so. Reasonable assumption for this guy being a medic, but so far every example of the doc I have seen to a German soldier has been silver and they certainly weren't all non-combatants.

One theory I saw on a Romanian site was that the gilt bronze clasp was for a single (first) award, silvered for when the soldier had already recieved a previous clasp. Supposedly only one clasp at a time was to have been worn so if you saw an example with a single gilt bronze clasp you could tell it was his first clasp, a single silvered that he had won other previous clasps.

This theory seems unlikely as there are photos showing the medal being worn with multiple clasps.

Aother theory was that a gilt bronze clasp suggested participation in a single battle in that area and silvered that he had participated through the entire campaign.

Until someone can come up with the original award criteria, it's all guesswork really.

Factor in the various different spellings on the clasps depending on whether they were made in Romania or Germany, the different clasp styles for the wider Romanian and narrower German ribbons, the two colours etc it can be very confusing !

This medal was actively awarded to both military and civilians. Took part in the war against the Soviet Union. Clasps only meant the areas in which the awarded service was held. In this regard, I am surprised by the presence of the buckle "DOBROGEA" - this is the territory of Bulgaria, not the territory of the USSR.

?

It could refer to the far north east part of Dobrogea which was taken by the USSR in 1940 and recaptured in 1942..