Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war

Article about: Collective wissdom, I guess a lot has been said about M33 Italian helmets here in this forum and if they show the characteristics of wartime period or post-war. It seems it's a kind of helme

Default Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war

Collective wissdom,
    I guess a lot has been said about M33 Italian helmets here in this forum and if they show the characteristics of wartime period or post-war. It seems it's a kind of helmet where this question is sometimes difficult to answer.
    According to what I could find from respectable sources, I would say that this are the things that give an indication or war period

- rectangular chin strap bales (post war = trapezoidal)
    - Tan leather liner with orange felt padding (post war has yellow leather and felt)
    - Leather grey-green chin strap (post war canvas)
    - Liner mounting ring is rectangular (post war trapezoidal)
    - small vent holes with flattened tops
    - manufacturer stamp of the inside brim of the helmet beginning with 'B' (which is the case with this helmet)
    - Stitching of the leather in the form of a 'Z' would be post war period (but no general consensus)

My eye fell on this helmet which may be a possible candidate as being wartime period. But I would be glad to get some input. Thanks in advance !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war   Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war  

Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war   Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war  

Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war   Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war  

Attached Images Attached Images Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war  Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war  Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war  Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war 

?

In my opinion this has the characteristics of a war time helmet. It looks like it was repainted at some point and then had it removed from the outside but left on the inside.

Steve.

Thanks Steve..

I found this post :
    M33 Helmet-paint color Italian Army 1934-1990

Could it not have been repainted in june 1940, but just the outside and the inside keeping his original colour ?

According to the dealer the holes in the front were ment for an insigne but as the holes are not equal in diameter they probably are not made in the factory. Someone knows what insigne could have been there and is this the proper way an insigne was attached ?

Erwin

Finally I bought this helmet. Here some more pictures...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war   Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war  

You can find stamp with date.

Thanks a lot 'Estonian' ! I you did not mention it, I would not have seen it. Mine has the logo of the manufacturer I suppose, no date.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian M33 helmet war period or post-war  
    Last edited by Helmcollector; 04-26-2023 at 10:27 AM.

A helmet with production characteristics prior to 1940, which will have lived many lives, given the many colors it has had.
    The configuration probably refers to the Italian supplies destined for Spain during and even after the Spanish civil war.