Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment

Article about: These interesting skull collar insignia arrived today from Spain. This insignia is usually hard to find in a matching pair, and I'm glad to have found them as such. I took some photo's with

?

Default Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment

These interesting skull collar insignia arrived today from Spain. This insignia is usually hard to find in a matching pair, and I'm glad to have found them as such. I took some photo's with a Danziger and a Heer panzer skull for comparison purposes.

They were used by the Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment between 1902-1931. I believe the regiment was disbanded in 1931 when King Alfonso XIII abdicated and the new Republic of Spain was formed. The insignia was then reused in a non-regulation manner during the civil war, 1936-1939 by certain Republican forces. The anarchist's in particular used single insignia as an impromptu cap device or breast badge. The insignia became synonymous with the Anarchist Column Perea and the Death battalion. The Nationalist's Tank forces were purported to have used these Death heads on their berets but I haven't been able to find images or photographs to support that. I believe the Nationalist tank corps used the Danziger type totenkopf, on their berets like their Legion Condor counterparts.

Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regimentSkull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment

Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regimentSkull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment

?

Default Lusitania cavalry regiment

CBH
    ?

Beautiful badges, I've never seen these before, but would love to have a set myself.
    Well done and a informative post with the period photo, thanks for sharing.

?

Default Anarchist Death's Head battalion

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Beautiful badges, I've never seen these before, but would love to have a set myself.
    Well done and a informative post with the period photo, thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, you don't see them often and even less in pairs. I did see one for sale on e medals awhile ago and it was misidentified as an Italian black brigade skull. I have skull fever now and It can't be tamed.

Gorgeous skulls indeed. It looks better than the Heer panzer skull or Danziger skull and those two skulls are really beautiful, but this one is remarkable really. Such a wonderful design, so striking in appearance. I am fascinated with that skull.

Best regards,
    Franko

?

Thanks Franko, it is a beautiful design. Be aware that there are cast fakes of this badge for sale. This is an example of a cheap solid screw-back replica currently available. In defense of the seller he does have it listed as a repro but I have seen others on ebay being sold as original.

CBH
    ?

It's a very anatomically correct skull, and well made. It looks like there was a cartridge box skull, cross belt skull, collars and hat skull! WOW.
    I have a skull habit myself, as you know, and have a couple British 17th Lancers "Mottos" as they are called for this regiment.
    When time permits Ill take a group shot and share it. Keep up the great work and thanks again for posting.

?

Just a few more period photo's and illustrations of the insignia in use.

Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regimentSkull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regimentSkull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment

?

I found this Spanish buckle for sale described as used by the Lusitania cavalry regiment and subsequently by Nationalist panzer crews. While the buckle does look convincing and identically patterned after the collar insignia, I am still unsure of it's origins. I have not found a period photo or illustration to thoroughly convince me and it's not cheap, so I'll keep digging.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast