Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish Civil War Republican Field Cap

Article about: The cap is a Republican forces winter field cap as used during the Spanish civil war of 1936-1939. The cap is constructed of heavy wool and adorned with Artillery Insignia and Republican red

?

Default Spanish Civil War Republican Field Cap

The cap is a Republican forces winter field cap as used during the Spanish civil war of 1936-1939. The cap is constructed of heavy wool and adorned with Artillery Insignia and Republican red star. There is no additional rank insignia so it would be for an enlisted man. The cap has a peculiar shape with a very short bill and fold down sides that act as a balaclava. It differs from German field caps in that it has no buttons. What struck me the most about this particular cap was the extremely large size. This thing is a bucket that looks like a wading pool when turned upside down. The are no markings or size on the interior. The cap seems unissued and perhaps it's because there were no melon head Spaniards to fill it in.

I picked this cap up on a whim from ebay at a real bargain price. I was unsure of authenticity so I made a low offer which got accepted then applied some ebay bucks I had accumulated and ended up paying about $35 . It was a small gamble that paid off......

Spanish Civil War Republican Field CapSpanish Civil War Republican Field Cap

?

Here are some illustrations and photographs of the cap in use from various Osprey books. Keep in mind that some of them are marked with rank bars of officers or stripes of NCO's

?

With my other Republican forces caps....Look at the size in comparison

?

this is just a fantastic posting. I just can't get enough of the history that you are posting! please keep EM comming1?

?

Thank you. This is the benefit of collecting something of less interest to other collectors, I'm able to find real jewels hidden among the trash. Here are some caps from the opposing side in case you haven't seen them. I still need to add some nice visors. The Nationalist's....

?

they are just the best!!