Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ustasha Buckle and collar tabs. Please help me. Are they good or not?

Article about: Hello Gentlemen! In the last months my Interest in the history of the Ustasha grew extremely. Now I have the opportunity to buy a Set of Ustasha pieces. But I have some concerns. The buckle

Default Ustasha Buckle and collar tabs. Please help me. Are they good or not?

Hello Gentlemen!

In the last months my Interest in the history of the Ustasha grew extremely.
    Now I have the opportunity to buy a Set of Ustasha pieces.

But I have some concerns.

The buckle looks crudely cast and riveted.
    I know there are lots of variations, but I really want to hear your oppinion.

The tabs on the other hand look very minty and as far as I know there are mostly ground dug tabs on the Market.

I dont know much about the croatian stuff by now and would really appreciate your thoughts on the pieces!

Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ustasha Buckle and collar tabs. Please help me. Are they good or not?   Ustasha Buckle and collar tabs. Please help me. Are they good or not?  

Ustasha Buckle and collar tabs. Please help me. Are they good or not?   Ustasha Buckle and collar tabs. Please help me. Are they good or not?  

Ustasha Buckle and collar tabs. Please help me. Are they good or not?  

Ps.
    I've researched a bit regarding the inscription on the reverse of the buckle.
    The first seems to be a Name, and of course the year 1943.

The last word has to mean "Jasenovac"

Its the Name of a croatian Village, where a huge concentration camp run by the Ustasha was located .

If the buckle is a period piece, its very interesting!
    But I still have concerns about its authenticity, because I dont know much about croatian items yet and I know that there are fakes of These buckles out there.

It would be great if someone could shine some light on it for me before I miss the opportunity to buy the set.

Thanks again for your time!
    Greetings from northern Germany!

Its me again ;-)

I just saw that the prongs seem to be pretty narrow for a standard "german type" koppelriemen (belt).
    Does anyone know something about croatian koppelriemen of that era and is able to tell me weather that is normal for that Kind of buckle?

Maybe that observation brings me a bit closer to an answer.
    I've searched threw the whole Web in multiple languages for the last couple of days and I was Not able to find a buckle wich is similar in Casting and construction.
    If this buckle is a fake i think there would be more of that Type on the Market. But if its genuine there should be similar ones too.

I'm really stumped by that one and would love to own it, if its the real deal.
    But I dont want to risk spending my very hard earned money on a modern lump of metal, so I'm patient and wait for some clues.

If I find out something, I'll let you guys know!

Thanks for your reply Vocht!

I already saw those relics, but unfortunately they dont answer my questions.

The buckle is clearly different to the one, that was offered to me but I also saw many different variations of that buckle (casted, stamped, multy piece construction...) and I dont know whether the one I posted is maybe a known original or a known fake.

The tabs match up pretty good with those from my pictures but I have read that These come mostly as ground dug relics, so I dont know whether this minty condition is already a red flag for ustasha tabs.

I hope I was able to clarify my problem.

Thanks again and greetings from northern Germany!

?

My personal opinion is that the buckle looks worse than the ground dug ones. Also I believe your idea about the collar tabs is correct. you know the story probably behind most ground dug pieces so I would be careful with these mint ones. Unless you would get a great bargain I would probably let 'em go.

A very interesting but difficult niche part of the hobby to collect! I know because I like collaborationist material.

Thanks again for your input Vocht!

The buckle looks so crudely made, that I dont know what to think of it.

Could be anything from a period small production run, a replacement made by a solider or prisoner himself to a very Bad attempt from a faker....

Since I got 2 Ustasha field cap badges in a Lot of insignia I'm hooked on collaborationist history!

I didnt even know what the badges were and found it out through research.

Now its one of the most interesting Chapters for me,
    but that means I have to learn many new things to avoid getting burned.

?

All is possible but do you want to risk it? Having something possible fake in the collection? What about if you want to resell it in the future?
    I would love to see the Ustasha stuff you have

Thats the Problem I have now.

I've read some Posts on the forum about ustasha stuff, where some members were Active who seemed to know a Lot about croatian buckles, but I saw they were not active here for some months.

I am only going to buy the set if someone can tell me something what proofs that the buckle has a Chance to be a good one.

I will share the cap badges I have in a separate thread, as soon as i'm back from work.

Hey guys, does someone know something about the inscription on the reverse?
    It could read:

PAVEL DRUGU (or DRUGO?)
    IVVO (?)
    IZ
    JASENOVAC

it would be great if someone who speaks croatian could shine some light on the meaning or what the letters should read.

Any oppinion on the pieces is still highly appreciated!

Thanks again and greetings from northern Germany!