Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by Italian Prisoner of War. Sent to the U.S.

Article about: This is an Italian Prisoner Of War Letter dated 1944 that was sent to the U.S. during WW2. The Italian Soldier had family living in The United States to whom he was writing. A rough translat

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by Italian Prisoner of War. Sent to the U.S.

This is an Italian Prisoner Of War Letter dated 1944 that was sent to the U.S. during WW2. The Italian Soldier had family living in The United States to whom he was writing. Based on writing on the envelope, he was a POW in India. He was likely captured in North Africa. A rough translation below.

The letter reads:

"12th of May 1944

My dearest Loreta, I received your brief letter from the 3rd of December 1943 and that of your Ida. I replied to you on the 30th of March and on the 20th of April 1944 and on the 1st of April I wrote to my dear niece. In the case that one of my letters gets lost, I'll repeat what I already communicated. I'm glad I was able to get in contact with you, after I'd been asking the family for your adress in vain for three years. I've been a prisoner since January 1941. I'm doing alright and I don't need anything. I'm just asking you to continuously send me many illustrated magazines, they come in very handy and easy for studying the English language, which I started doing a couple years ago.

If you can, send me something for my teeth, which are falling off due to a strong periodontal disease, and a complete energetic restorative care for my nervous system, which has strongly weakened. Send me many pictures of the whole family, because I really wish to see you again. I hope you're all in good health and I wish you all the best with all my heart. Many kind regards to your husband and your daughters, to whom you'll recommend to write to me often, freely using English, which I understand quite well. You too write to me often and a lot, especially receiving inspiration from the great and unique comfort that postal correspondence brings to us. I haven't heard from the rest of ours since last August, but I hope we're all alright. Felice, Iolanda's husband, is a prisoner too. After our dear mother, Nevilio, Ionino's eleven year old son, and aunt Faustina died too. I will write as I will be allowed to. Kisses, Tommaso."
    Last edited by Heartfeltzero; 11-21-2022 at 07:32 PM.