Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne

Article about: Dear all, After my sons and me had attended the 75th anniversary at Manhay with its reenactment event (first time I have been in US uniform) and the Nuts-weekend at Bastogne we returned last

Default 75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne

Dear all,

After my sons and me had attended the 75th anniversary at Manhay with its reenactment event (first time I have been in US uniform) and the Nuts-weekend at Bastogne we returned last Friday to visit the 'Manhay History 44 Museum' (MHM44) at Grandmenil and Bastogne again. I like to present some actual paintings of the shop windows at Bastogne remebering of the Battle of the Bulge, just 75th years ago.

I wish you a Happy New Year!
    alter musketier

75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 01-03-2020 at 03:02 AM.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

... some more.

75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne75th years after: Battle of the Bulge and Window Paintings in Bastogne
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

TWS
    ?

Very cool. Must have been a great trip and experience. I was at Bastogne for the 50th anniversary and many shop windows had German militaria from local barns and fields displayed in them. Some pieces were in "ground dug" condition but many items were in fully collectible shape. I was strongly tempted to go inside some of the shops and ask if any could be had for $.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Dear Todd,

Thank you for your interesting post about the situation 25 years ago. Indeed it's a great experience. Especially to see that the liberation and the remembrance of the G.I.s who fought, stood, suffered and died for is kept alive in a 'popular' way (I have no better expression) and has found its way in the tradition of the town. I had the same feeling when we visited the Nuts-weekend with its convoy of allied vehicles in the midst of December. In this way it will rest both in the hearts and the minds.

The distance from our residence to Bastogne is about 200 kilometres only. It's pretty near to visit it at any time, for history or shopping.

With best wishes
    alter musketier

TWS
    ?

I'm glad you don't mind me chiming in. I could go on and on, but didn't want to hijack your thread. I had the opportunity to attend the 50-year anniversary celebration on a staff ride with the officers of my armor battalion stationed in Friedberg. We were in uniform and the Belgian people were very appreciative. I was even kissed on the cheek by two young lovely Belgian ladies! The parade of vintage vehicles, which included a couple Sherman tanks, was a highlight.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Dear Todd,

... quite the contrary, it's great that you report about your experience (and if you want if you did it furthermore). Stunning to be appreciated in such a cordial way by the people (with kisses ). When we visited Bastogne today's G.I.s were present too. They also were very cherished and the stars of a lot of photo shootings.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 01-05-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Brings back memories, was there Christmas 2016, hows the Manhay Panther looking these days ??

Hello Historyman,

I tried to find the Manhay Panther in 2018. All I found was an empty spot. At the "Bastogne barracks" I saw that the Panther was undergoing a restoration.

Maybe the restoration is finished and the Panther back on it's stand. I remember that when I visited the Panther in the early eighties, when I was a boy, I was painted pink and called the Pink Panther. But maybe it was another, it's along time ago.

Cheers Paul

Paul, your picture above is of the Ligneuville ex 116th Pz Div Panther. The Manhay Panther is still at Grandmenil, hasn’t been pink for 20 years.

Default Pink Panther

I think I found it on Facebook.

PINK PANTHER- Not a diamond to be recovered by Inspector Clouseau but a Panther Tank (G Model) that was KO'd near Grandmenil around Christmas 1944. Thanks to the brilliantly chosen primer used to prevent the vehicle from corrosion this piece of history was nick-named the Pink Panther.

The original photo was taken back in 1988 by Avri Adleman, proud son of a 75 ID Veteran.
    Only a few days until the 74th commemorations of the Battle of the Bulge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast