Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Arnhem / Mkt Garden ("Leger" Trip) 2018

Article about: Here's some pics from a recent Leger trip up the route of 30 Corp to Arnhem...quite a mix though mainly from a couple of Museums...if you've got questions, please ask. Some are sideways (sor

I totally agree, that would be a "stunner", any one know what type turret it is for the Sherman?

Any pictures of the "other" ones my friend?

Lightbulb

Although I'd said 'no more', I found this comparison among my Arnhem photos and felt it should be included with the others. 'Then & Nows' are great fun to do, but every now and again I visit a spot which looks completely mundane but is revealed as somewhere very poignant.

As here, Utrechtsestraat at Arnhem, a short walk from the 'Bridge Too Far' down the road behind the photographer. These men of Major Victor Dover's C Company, 2nd Parachute Battalion, were caught in the open by German MG fire on the evening of 17th September 1944.

I remember standing there in silence for a few minutes, reflecting that on the morning of that day, they'd had breakfast at their airfield in England.

At such quiet moments, I feel that I'm somehow trespassing on the past.

Lightbulb

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    .... any one know what type turret it is for the Sherman?
    I remember seeing one of these turrets very close to the river, just past the Oosterbeek Laag railway bridge.

Apparently, the Royal Netherlands Army took over a number of war-weary ex-Allied Sherman I, II, III and V models plus some Ram I/IIs for use immediately after WWII. As they were replaced by newer models in the late 1940s/early 1950s, they were incorporated in the Ijsselline static defences. It seems that many of these were complete tanks buried in stepped concrete, and not simply turrets placed on bunkers.

As to which sort is in the photo, I'm just not enough of a Sherman expert to know.....

?

Sherman 75mm turrets

Here is a good document regarding them. Not sure myself but from the mantle I guess M4A3 1943 onwards?

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    I remember seeing one of these turrets very close to the river, just past the Oosterbeek Laag railway bridge.

Apparently, the Royal Netherlands Army took over a number of war-weary ex-Allied Sherman I, II, III and V models plus some Ram I/IIs for use immediately after WWII. As they were replaced by newer models in the late 1940s/early 1950s, they were incorporated in the Ijsselline static defences. It seems that many of these were complete tanks buried in stepped concrete, and not simply turrets placed on bunkers.

As to which sort is in the photo, I'm just not enough of a Sherman expert to know.....
    I think you have seen the same one. It's just the turret mounted on a small bunker.

Cheers Paul

Default Heelsum memorial

Did you know that the Heelsum memorial was composed of British drop containers a also with a couple of airborne helmets? Heelsum was an assembly place and the dropzone was just behind the village.

The helmets are replaced by replica ones to keep the monument save from souvenir hunters (All you guys ), but I believe the drop containers are still concrete filled originals.

Cheers,

Paul

(Composite; I hope that you don't mind the used of your picture again.)

Lightbulb

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    I think you have seen the same one. It's just the turret mounted on a small bunker.

Cheers Paul
    Thanks Paul - TBH, there was so much of WW2 interest to see that I barely gave 'cold war' stuff more than a glance in passing.....

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    I totally agree, that would be a "stunner", any one know what type turret it is for the Sherman?

Any pictures of the "other" ones my friend?
    I have no idea what kind of Sherman it is. I don't have any other turrets on camera because I moved to another city. Next time I'm out there I'll try to find more.

Cheers Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3