Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

First trip to normandy

Article about: Hi all. I am planning my first trip to Normandy in a few weeks, and intend to visit some of the main "touristy" sites; museums bunkers etc, but I would also like to lace up the wal

Default First trip to normandy

Hi all.

I am planning my first trip to Normandy in a few weeks, and intend to visit some of the main "touristy" sites; museums bunkers etc, but I would also like to lace up the walking boots and get out there.

Can anyone recommend some interesting sites off the beaten tracks (especially if there is surviving evidence or even relics to see as I am taking a couple of mates). I like the idea of going to less explored areas, (legally of course) to get a better idea of the landscape.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian.

?

Default Re: First trip to normandy

Hi,
    There is a strong point WN60 (wiederstands-nest) near Cabourg witch is very nice to visit.
    It's at the most eastern end of Omaha. It's of the beaten track, because it's at the end of a small road leading to the coast It's the first right hand turn when you are coming from Colleville sur mer.

The first time a was there, there were no signs or boards at all. Just some concrete bunkers and pits on the coastline. There was a big snake in one of them! The view is amazing, you can imagine what the soldiers had to do to get up there, and how hard it was.The guy who owns the big red one museum witch is near tried to get it excavated but did not get permission.

I'm a big fan of Normandy, been up there many time's. If you want to know more let me know.

regards Menno

First trip to normandy
    First trip to normandy

Thanks Menno.

We are staying at Vierville, right over the beach so that is perfect for a visit.
    Will keep an eye open for snakes too!!

Brian.

Oh he|_|_ no! I don't play well with snakes. Looks like a beautiful area. Maybe one say ill make it there, if I stop buying helmets and save some money.
    Have a safe trip!

Thanks Helmetone!

Just found there is a bar down the road so there is a place to recover from snake bites.... Probably not everyones idea of a stag weekend, but I'm too old for clubbing!!!
    It was the only way I could get any of my friends to visit battlefields with me and the girlfriend is happier....

Brian.

wow the veiw from thoose bunkers is amazing i would someday love to go to normandy and do some metal detecting and just enjoy the beautiful scenery

I think metal detecting is illegal on the battlefield, but what about finds?
    I assume the area has been picked clean, but if I spot anything should I leave it?

Brian.

Ghost thread ...
    But , How did the trip go?
    Im trying to plan one myself, so looking for info ....