Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My research on the German U-Boats & its bases in Asia (Singapore / Penang / Jakarta / Surabaya)

Article about: Hi everyone, This is my first post in this forum and so I thought it would be best I post something about my research here too. Last year December, I went to Penang, Malaysia to do my resear

Default My research on the German U-Boats & its bases in Asia (Singapore / Penang / Jakarta / Surabaya)

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum and so I thought it would be best I post something about my research here too.

Last year December, I went to Penang, Malaysia to do my research on the German U-Boat bases in Asia (Singapore / Penang / Jakarta / Surabaya).

Ive yet to find the time to update my website on all the pictures that I took and information that Ive gathered but shown below are two interesting pictures of before and after shots of buildings in Penang that were utilized by the Germans.

The Monsun U-Boats – WW2 German Submarines In Asia

Please email me at corleonesi_22@hotmail.com or iahmad@ntu.edu.sg if you have any info / pictures / documents/ etc to share.

I will be updating this thread as well as my website as my research progresses.
    Thank You!

Shown below is from the book :-
    U-Boat Far from Home: The Epic Voyage of U 862 to Australia and New Zealand by Stevens, David. St Leonards, NSW: Allen and Unwin, 1997

Default Re: My research on the German U-Boats & its bases in Asia (Singapore / Penang / Jakarta / Surabaya)

Hi and welcome to the forum, interesting thread
    Ben

Default Re: My research on the German U-Boats & its bases in Asia (Singapore / Penang / Jakarta / Surabaya)

Hi Ibrahim, welcome to the forum!

I already have your website in my favourites

Cheers, Ade.

Great information and welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard mate interesting stuff well done cheers Raymond

Gordon
    ?

Thumbs up Re: My research on the German U-Boats & its bases in Asia (Singapore / Penang / Jakarta / Surabaya)

Very interesting stuff,much entertainment for me!

grndskeeper
    ?

Wow. Thanks! I just learned the Germans had bases in Asia!

That makes sense considering the number of boats that ended-up in Japanese service in 1944-45. Again, thanks for the education!

Along those lines, and probably not of news to anyone here as this particular "erasing of artifacts" began in 1993, the sub pen "Elbe II" in Hamburg, containing at least three "mostly" intact and extremely rare Type XXI U-Boats, was completely filled-in with sand and gravel over a two-year period and completed in 1995.

Over the last 15 years, to complete the process, the Elbe II bunker complex has been completely developed and covered-over -- the remnants of the base and the three boats now hidden beneath a parking lot.

I hate reading stuff like this.

uboat.net - History - Type XXI U-boats in Elbe II bunker in Hamburg

Super photos! Welcome and hope to see more!

My research website has been updated to this one - The Monsun U-Boats – WW2 German Submarines In Asia
    Please take a look and if you have any info/pictures/articles/etc. I'd be very much appreciate it

Hi Ibrahim,
    I may have some information re WW2 U boat operations off the Australian East coast somewhere. These voyages may have a connection to your research. I,ll see what I can dig up for you mate.
    Cheers
    Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast