Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Once in a lifetime

Article about: Hello everyone, I am looking for your opinions. My Fathers health is failing as he approaches 80 years old and last year he told me that he always wished that he had visited the battlefields

Default Once in a lifetime

Hello everyone,

I am looking for your opinions. My Fathers health is failing as he approaches 80 years old and last year he told me that he always wished that he had visited the battlefields of northern France. Well to cut a long story short in June 2010 I am taking him there for ten days before he becomes too frail to enjoy himself.

My question is if you could only visit Northern France once in your life where would you go and what would you see.

All my thanks in advance

Robin Morley.

Default Re: Once in a lifetime

Robin, You do not say whether your father fought his way up through France, if he did then the first step is to find out what unit he was with. Go to a library and ask for any books on this units activities in WWII. If you find a book then sit with your father and go through the book and ask him if there are any signifant places mentioned that jog his memory. Also Get google maps to help you find the exact spot. If you do find out his unit but cannot find a good book on it then contact me as I have various unit histories.
    You will find it a very rewarding trip and I wish you all the best, John.

Thanks John.

Dad was to young to serve during WW2 however was in Korea.

His wish to visit is more academic and I think he is more interested in WW1 sites however please dont limit yourselves to those, WW2 is of interest as well.

Regards

Robin

Robin

For me it would have to be Normandy! If you could stretch to Belgium and the Ardennes that would be fantastic for him!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Allan Williams
    ?

Considering his predominant interest is WWI, I really think Ypres ( or Ieper) and it's surrounding area is well worth a look. It's a beautiful town surrounded by a great countryside with more history than you can poke a stick at.
    Wherever you go, it'll be a great trip and your dad'll love it.
    Cheers
    Allan

Robin, You'll get many great ideas here for your trip. That along with a little research should enable you to have a great trip. I just wanted to tell you that what you are doing for your Dad is wonderful. We can all only hope that all of our children will do the same for us in the future. Have a GREAT trip and enjoy being with and listening to your Dad. Nicely done. John
    P.S. My Dad passed away when I was young and I never had a chance to do much with him, I've always regretted it.