Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Oradour-sur-Glane

Article about: I've visited Oradour twice and it is a really very moving place, walking through its quiet streets with the tram track still in place always gets to me, seeing the Doctors car in the square

Default Re: Oradour-sur-Glane

I never visited Oradour sur Glane but in High school I read a paperback still available today called "War for an Afternoon" Although the photos shown in the links provided in the above posts are chilling,,,reading this book completes the feeling of attrocity that was comitted on that day,. This is a worth while book to read,,and sickening to say the least of what some the these SS men did to the people and animals. Here is a photo of the book. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Oradour-sur-Glane  
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Another memorable book which has a sizable section of it concerning Oradour is "The Scourge of the Swastika" by Lord Russell of Liverpool. It was one of the first post war books that came out and spoke openly of the atrocities committed.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

This book also ( one of my Xmas presents ) goes into some detail about the whole northern movement of the division as well as the brutal 'sidetrack the DF regiment took.
    available thru Amazon Das Reich: The March of the 2nd SS Panzer Division Through France, June 1944 Pan Military Classics: Amazon.co.uk: Max Hastings Sir: Books

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Oradour-sur-Glane  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

A horrible tragedy. One place that I must visit soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4