Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Overloon Panther old photograph

Article about: This is what happens when you start tidying up! Very old photo from a visit to Overloon museum back in the 1980s…

Default Overloon Panther old photograph

This is what happens when you start tidying up! Very old photo from a visit to Overloon museum back in the 1980s…

Overloon Panther old photograph

TWS
    ?

I visited in 1986!
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I remember those haircuts

Yes, I remember when I visited Overloon in the nineties, this Panther was basking in the sunshine...

All the crew were killed if I remember correctly?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Yes, I remember when I visited Overloon in the nineties, this Panther was basking in the sunshine...

All the crew were killed if I remember correctly?
    I think the crew abandoned the Panther after it was hit by a Piat round during the battle. I think they escaped but I may be wrong.

?

Each time I see that, it makes me angry.

I’ve been coming to Overloon since I was a kid in the 1970’s. All the stuff was still in the woods, in the open air. Taken there from the surrounding battle field. A shot up Panther, Sherman and Nebelwerfer, are just a few things I remember.

Then they built a building and brought the stuff inside to protect it from the elements. So far so good.

But then some nutters felt it was a good idea to restore the stuff to factory new condition, at least the paintwork.

The Panther was given zimmerit and a non original three colour camouflage scheme. Later they decided the zimmerit and three colour scheme was wrong and now it is plain yellow, which is also not correct, as it was yellow and green originally. This Panther didn’t live long, it was destroyed within a few months after it left the factory.

For those interested : Panther Ausf. G - Overloon | PanzerPlace

There’s also this Sherman with the cupola half blown off, looking as if it came straight out of the factory.

My opinion is they should have preserved the stuff and respect the lives lost, from all sides. Not destroy it in an irreversible way.

I agree mate, I've alwyas believed that panzers that have been knocked out should be left in their original colour scheme.

It's their history..

Have to agree with you Kilian, Panther 222 could have been a little more sympathetically restored.