Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RAF Hendon Aircraft Museum

Article about: Folks, I visited RAF Hendon Aircraft Museum on the outskirts of London last weekend and wanted to share some of the photos of the aircraft on display. The museum is located about 30 minutes

And Mark - bet you loved the documentary series on HMS Queen Elizabeth.
    My father served on HMS Eagle in the early 70s. We went down to Portsmouth specifically to see the new aircraft carrier and took the harbour cruise to get a close up. Fantastic trip.

Nick

I think the Ju88 and Me262 have both been moved to Cosford. The He111 was also fenced off - I thought about sneaking over to view it but didn't want to get in to trouble and get chucked out.
    I've a few more photos I'll post up tomorrow.

Thanks for showing, The RAF museum Hendon is a must see for anyone with even the remotest interest in aviation history on a par with or even better than may I say imo Duxford ! Where else are you going to see an Me262 or a Stuka in the uk ( the Stuka being only 1 of 2 in the world) let alone all the other rare aircraft ! bought back some great memories Nick ,cheers Paul

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    And Mark - bet you loved the documentary series on HMS Queen Elizabeth.
    My father served on HMS Eagle in the early 70s. We went down to Portsmouth specifically to see the new aircraft carrier and took the harbour cruise to get a close up. Fantastic trip.

Nick
    Dead right, "the boy" appeared briefly which must be every parents pride! Better than that his mum and I actually got on board the day after commissioning but sadly no pics of interest to anyone else but us for obvious reasons!!

As for aircraft museums, IWM Duxford is a must. There is the incredible US Airforce Memorial Hall with a B52 (amongst others) hanging from the ceiling!!, active aircraft workshops where you can see airworthy aircraft being worked on and of course the Land Warfare Hall plus loads of other stuff including a genuine Concorde and a Blue Steel missile.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Agree re Duxford Mark...tho not sure if they ever winched the BUF up to the roof! :-) The 8th Air Force building itself, by Foster, is a stunning work...a beautiful building..even if it was empty....the surrounding glass panels really bring home the losses. Strangely I always find the section of Saddam's / Bull's "Super-Gun" there the biggest draw for me. I'd just love to meet the guy (or gal) who planned the layout inside...in fact, no, I'd've liked to have seen the faces of the guys who got given the layout plan! If that was the IWM London it'd have a civilian Cessna, 5 shops, hundreds of white one-paragraph boards, 50 projectors and a beautiful Brassiere....and lots of space. I went past yesterday and nearly popped in for an hour but it ain't cheap...which is a tad misleading for anyone hoping for the same free admission policy as IWM London...although I guess you defo get what you pay for there. No mention yet of RAF Cosford in the Midlands....that one's coming along nicely, the highlight being the collection of WW2 German guided missiles.....and it's FREE!

Quote by Composite View Post
    Agree re Duxford Mark...tho not sure if they ever winched the BUF up to the roof! :-)
    Yep, thinking about it I reckon I must have mis-remembered that bit but that's the kind of place it is and with other aircraft slung above it as well as exhibits underneath probably an understandable "impression" in the recall.

Not an aircraft exhibit I know but I really liked the way that the Land Warfare Hall was laid out in a kind of chronological diorama stating from the trenches of WWI and leading through via the fall of Berlin to the Gulf War. What an amazing visual effect!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-13-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

North American TB-25 J:

de Havilland Mosquito B35:

Avro Vulcan B2:

Avro Vulcan B2:

Lockheed Hudson IIIA:

Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVI:

Westland Sea King Helicopter HAR3:

RAF Regiment armoured car:

Willys MB Jeep:

Thanks for showing wonderful pictures. . BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2