Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Scrapyards of the Falaise Gap - then and now

Article about: OK, let me first start with a disclaimer. I have discovered the following information in many online documents, and where I have used words ‘verbatim’ I will indicate the source. The rem

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    It was from Trun, but only when you see how many vehicles were lost and gathered up do you realise how much was lost for good to the furnances after the war. How many Pz IV in this photo alone.
    Attachment 1494034
    The Catz Museum Panzer IV Ausf H German Medium Tank is in a poor condition. The vehicle is remarkably intact inside but is missing its auxiliary generator, parts from the engine, radiator, radio racks, radio operator's seat and transformers. It is missing half of both tracks. It is believed to have served with either the 22nd Panzer Regiment and/or the 12th SS Panzer Regiment. It took part in the Normandy fighting in June 1944 and was knocked out near Caen by a Canadian unit. An AP round penetrated the hull just behind the right hand sprocket which also damaged the gearbox. After the war it was transported to the military vehicle scrap yard at St Lambert-sur-Dive.

In 1948 it was then taken to another scrap yard on the Route de Paris near Le Mans. In 1976 it was rescued from being cut up by the owners of the ‘Musée du 19 Août 1942’. This was a private military museum located on the cliffs to the east of the town of Pourville, east of Dieppe. The tank was not restored but left in a wrecked condition and displayed outside as a memorial to the Dieppe raid of 19 August 1942. After the Pourville museum closed this PzKpfw IV tank found its way into the Becker collection and finally to the Normandy Tank Museum.

Arrow

My interest in the Falaise Gap was sparked back in 1972 ; I'd just started work and the old Orbis 'World War II' weekly partwork had hit the newsagents. They reproduced the famous 'Rocket Firing Typhoons At The Falaise Gap' painting by official RAF war artist Frank Wootton. I still have the bound set of magazines - here's the picture, showing the old St Lambert church.. Wow, I thought, i wonder what 'The Falaise Gap' looks like - I'd love to go there someday....

So when I finally did go there - I just couldn't match up the 'Then & Now' scenario. i walked back and forth in frustration until it finally dawned on me. Wootton was an artist, not a photographer ! The road actually curves in the opposite direction ; I assume that Wootton has used 'artistic licence' to make the scene more aesthetically pleasing. Just on the right can be seen the fence protecting the ditch into which the Panthers were dumped, as seen earlier in the thread.

BTW, the original painting resides in the IWM in London, and is well worth hunting out....

Reverse angle shot compare with picture on #86.

Man and machine smashed and discarded.

?

Looks like an HJ Tac sign on the Hummel with Troops wearing British Battle Bowlers in the background .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13