Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Switzerland`s world war two defenses

Article about: I have started new project, the documentation of swiss ww2 defenses. A thread all related to bunkers and all sort of fortifications in Switzerland. KOBLENZ: Starting off in Koblenz, the tour

BERG AM IRCHEL:
    FESTUNG EBERSBERG

Near the river rhine, there are bunkers, defenses and two very important fortresses…..
    This is one called Ebersberg and built in 1936.

Its formed by a secure complex of tunnels connecting three kannon bunkers on the top of the Hill facing the river, a fortified bridge and two separate casemates.
    The fortress it self has only one entrance and exit, casually disguised of a wooden farm house.

This is the first separate casemate.
    With three kannon positions it offered side protection for the bridge.
    The soft and plane area surrounding the bunker is made of concrete and hides tunnels underneath.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Switzerland`s world war two defenses   Switzerland`s world war two defenses  

Switzerland`s world war two defenses   Switzerland`s world war two defenses  

BERG AM IRCHEL:
    FESTUNG EBERSBERG
    RHINE BRÜCKE

The bridge itself was built in 1929 and had been armed with explosives in its pillars, in paving and a MG11 bunker.
    When the bridge tarmac was repaved in 2000`s the porth holes were removed, so today, only remains the MG bunker.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Switzerland`s world war two defenses   Switzerland`s world war two defenses  

Hi,

I haven`t updated this thread in a while, so here it goes...
    Originally, this anti-tank defense line was about 1,5km along the river emme, with two bunkers protecting each end of the line.

Today, this "panzersperre" is reduced to 4 concrete units......

Regards
    António

Great thread, thanks for sharing. I remember watching a documentary about Swiss defences some years ago and remember seeing what appeared to be a barn in a field, but which turned out to be a revolving artillery/ anti tank gun platform, about which the whole building revolved. I wish I could remember which town it was located in. Maybe if you come across a random barn in a field, you could investigate it.

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    Great thread, thanks for sharing. I remember watching a documentary about Swiss defences some years ago and remember seeing what appeared to be a barn in a field, but which turned out to be a revolving artillery/ anti tank gun platform, about which the whole building revolved. I wish I could remember which town it was located in. Maybe if you come across a random barn in a field, you could investigate it.
    You are welcome, thanks for reading.

There is no shortage of forts, fortresses or bunkers around here.
    There are several just like the one you described......

A small infanterie bunker in the woods, above the town of Eglisau.
    River Rhine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3