MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts

Article about: [FONT=Times New Roman]Salvete Fratres! This could easily take many hours of my time...hopefully, it will... I will begin with a brief presentation of a few interesting pieces and highlights

?

Default Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts

Salvete Fratres!

This could easily take many hours of my time...hopefully, it will...

I will begin with a brief presentation of a few interesting pieces and highlights from the recent Gladiatores exhibition, that we were fortunate enough to attend during its limited presentation at the National Museum of Archeology in Napoli (Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli).

The expansive and wonderfully detailed floor mosaic was displayed outside of Switzerland for the first time. Cases found at the Gladiatorial barracks in Pompei revealed many incredible finds, some of which are shown here.

Although the exhibition ran for a limited period, closing last month, an English language link is added below:

GLADIATORS|mann napoli

When time permits, I shall augment the thread with information and related imagery.

Ciao for now...

Carl

Index to the attachments as follows:

(I-II) The Gladiatorial Barracks, Pompei 2022 (note Vesuvius in background)

(III and V) Amphitheatre, Pompei 2022

(IV) Funerary Stele of Antigonus, a Murmillo class Gladiator - Ravenna, 2nd-3rd Century AD

(VI) Helmet of a Provacator Gladiator, Pompei Gladiator barracks, 1st Century AD

(VII) Funerary Stele of Peneleos, a Murmillo class Gladiator - 3rd Century AD

(VIII) Stunning Murmillo helmet. National Museum of Archeology in Napoli, 2022

(IX) Acclamation of Pompei Gladiatorial games organiser

(X-XI) Floor mosaic featuring Gladiatorial scenes, Augusta Raurica 2nd Century AD
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts   Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts  

Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts   Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts  

Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts   Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts  

Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts  

?

Below is one from my own collection. A bronze miniature Gladius estimated from the 1st to 3rd Century AD. it is a finely detailed piece and one I plan to display later, as part of a planned Gladiatores showpiece.

C
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts  

?

Thank you Carl for the photo's and info.

Very interesting and goes well with the History channel documentary " Colosseum" I watched.

Your bronze miniature Gladius is a true treasure.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Thank you Phil, as ever, I appreciate your kind words.

This piece was possibly sold by a vendor at a games event, or made especially for somebody with a connection to the games.

Yes, there are some great documentaries related to the subject, superb written works too of course.

During one of our trips to Italy earlier this year, we were fortunate enough to not only visit the magnificent Amphitheatrum Flavium (Flavian Amphitheatre) but also take the underground workings of the Colosseum tour, a fantastic afternoon and a thoroughly interesting and entertaining way to see the famous site. Later in the thread, I will post some images and related information.

Carl

?

Fascinating lead toys made during the Imperial period of Ancient Rome. Shaped into various helmet forms as worn by Gladiatores of the time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts  

?

A rare votive plaque in bronze, featuring a pair of fighting Roman Gladiators.

?

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned posting images taken during one of the limited underground tours of the Flaviun Amphitheatre, showing some of the fantastic inner workings of the Colosseum. Below, images taken during said visit.

(I) External view of the structure. Remember, through the ages this magnificent structure has withstood earthquakes, fires, other natural disasters and considerable efforts by the worst of all, man, to ruin it. Yet it stands. An estimated 200,000 cubic meters of travertine stone, bricks and Roman cement were used in the construction. Across its main axis, it is 190 meters and stood 50 meters tall. For reference, the size equates to twice as long and one and half times as wide as a modern football field. The workforce consisted mostly of Jewish slaves, prisoners of the early Roman-Jewish war which took place several years before the start of the construction (70-80 AD)

?

(II & III) Views of one of the Gladiator schools, barracks located in the vicinity.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts   Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts  

?

(IV, V, VI & VII) Now inside, overviews of the arena, with exposed underground areas visible.

?

(VIII & IX) Spectacular view taken from a higher vantage point on one of the upper levels and another view, taken from the viewing platform reserved for the Emperor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast