Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts

Article about: [FONT=Times New Roman]Salvete Fratres! This could easily take many hours of my time...hopefully, it will... I will begin with a brief presentation of a few interesting pieces and highlights

?

Thanks for your kind words too, Alan. The miniature dagger is an incredible relic, I was very pleased to acquire such a piece. In storage, I have several of different forms and sizes, including a full sized Gladius Hispaniensis. It is not from a Gladiator school though, rather it was used by a high ranking military man.

I grew up not far from Chester, the town founded as a 1st Century A.D. Roman fort, so the interest was always there for me. I think many of us from Britannia share the respect and interest of Roman history.

Thank you for posting a very interesting thread.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Among the items vendors offered around the arena during the games, ceramic oil lamps depicting Gladiatores were one of the most popular. Less common, brooches such as this example shown below, depicting a Murmillo Gladiator. The detail to the piece is exceptional and the condition fortunately remains very fine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword and Sand - A Study of Ancient Roman Gladiator Sites and Artefacts  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3