Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

U boat pens Saint Nazaire

Article about: I said I was going to do it one day and I`m just back today. Brilliant. Spent 3 days in West France checking out the pens and surrounding buildings. I read about the raid as well, and the co

Default U boat pens Saint Nazaire

I said I was going to do it one day and I`m just back today. Brilliant. Spent 3 days in West France checking out the pens and surrounding buildings. I read about the raid as well, and the converted HMS Campbeltown. Took a few pictures. I had no idea what to expect but I walked into the pens and sat down in silence and looked around in the exact same spot that was once a hive of activity with U boats being loaded, serviced, repaired and where crews chatted and discussed things.

At the site, there was some `modern art` display on the roof and another exhibition about French sea farers. There`s actually a visitor center built into the back near the street. I took loads of pictures.

The 3rd from the bottom still has the original number 12 A and B above. Check the last original picture out.

I might go back. next time Lorient
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U boat pens Saint Nazaire   U boat pens Saint Nazaire  

U boat pens Saint Nazaire   U boat pens Saint Nazaire  

Last edited by CARL; 08-23-2013 at 01:51 PM.

A couple more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U boat pens Saint Nazaire   U boat pens Saint Nazaire  

U boat pens Saint Nazaire  

Jan
    ?

Amazing!! Thanks for sharing these. Can anyone visit the pens?

Best,

Jan

Super pics !! A must visit!
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

thanks for the pics.

Quote by Jan View Post
    Amazing!! Thanks for sharing these. Can anyone visit the pens?

Best,

Jan
    Thanks for the comment gentlemen.

Suprisingly they are totally open to the public. You can wander around to suit yourself. I still find it strange that I was wandering around the exact same spot that has so much history.

?

Excellent photos & thanks for sharing them... What a place I would love to go there one day...I will put it on the list with another 100 other places lol... Cheers Terry.

Great pictures thanks for showing them. timothy

Its fantastic to still see historical places just as they were all those decades ago,thanks for sharing some great pics...............Jake.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Love them!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast