Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

The Vimoutiers Tiger - a history

Article about: by lebus12 On the first picture, it's me!(This picture is mine, but one time on the web, it's finished!) In the 60's-70's, I was every month in the Falaise pocket! Thank you Lebus for provid

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    A new thread on Trun, would be very interesting indeed.

So please lets see it starting soon.
    Indeed. I have nothing to contribute but I find these threads extremely interesting.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    tried to send you PM but your mailbox is full.
    Cleared it out now Dan !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

What a view!

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    What a view!
    Do you know what the WEIRD thing is? ....... the tank is actually pointing in the wrong direction!!!

It had ( along with many others ) already got through the gap and was heading up the route 179 out of Vimoutiers towards the fuel dump at the Château de l'Horloge 6km away but the long pull up the hill used the last of it's fuel and it ground to a halt in the middle of the road. Not alone, scattered about the same area were several Panzer IVs, and a few other Tigers all dry or abandoned by their crews.

Sure, it looks far more imposing pointing downhill toward the town in a menacing stance only a Tiger can provide - but its NOT historically correct!!

( I can hear the chorus ... " Thanks Dan! - Now you've wrecked it for everyone" ... )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Do you know what the WEIRD thing is? ....... the tank is actually pointing in the wrong direction!!!

It had ( along with many others ) already got through the gap and was heading up the route 179 out of Vimoutiers towards the fuel dump at the Château de l'Horloge 6km away but the long pull up the hill used the last of it's fuel and it ground to a halt in the middle of the road. Not alone, scattered about the same area were several Panzer IVs, and a few other Tigers all dry or abandoned by their crews.

Sure, it looks far more imposing pointing downhill toward the town in a menacing stance only a Tiger can provide - but its NOT historically correct!!

( I can hear the chorus ... " Thanks Dan! - Now you've wrecked it for everyone" ... )
    Perhaps if it does get removed for restoration they can put it back facing the other way...

Arrow

I agree that it's a case of 'romantic but wrong', but there's no doubt that it always is ( was ? ) a very imposing sight as you climbed the hill from Vimoutiers.

I was recently able to locate a copy of War artist Hans Liska Skittzenbuch, sketchbook. Included within is an appropriate image for this thread I hope.

There's supposed to be a couple of Tigers still in the River Seine, if you believe Mark Felton..

SS Tiger Tank Still in French River - YouTube

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    There's supposed to be a couple of Tigers still in the River Seine, if you believe Mark Felton..

SS Tiger Tank Still in French River - YouTube
    Wishful thinking at best I think. Sadly I expect the debris was cleared and melted down. It makes no sense to push it into the river thereby adding another potential underwater obstacle.

?

I wouldn't believe very much of what Mark Felton says , his productions are full of mistakes and inaccuracies .

But i do know where there is one still in a swamp !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast