Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wartime Prague

Article about: Just got back from a conference in Prague but had a free day to tour the WW2 sights ! Here are some pics I took from the Army Museum, St Cyrils church and vault, Gestapo and Waffen SS HQ bui

I will say this, from 1994 when I first went to Prague and 1997 when I had work to do there, also, the food is not as good, and it has become too akin to a common European tourist ground zero. The gentrification means that the historical architecture is nicely kept, but one is always being crushed in a crowd.

The crowds are oppressive. But I am a disagreeable, old scold. The same is true from Vienna and Berlin, of course.

And Carl could not be a more congenial colleague and host, and I salute him as a friend and for his exemplary role here on the site.

?

These points are very, very true.

If planning a visit, I would suggest avoiding summer...it simply drains you...the crowds are dense...

As with all major cities...sadly, the tourist traps exist...and food, something we all need and mostly enjoy...can be a tricky one in the City of a Thousand Spires...

Anybody reading this and planning to come, do not hesitate to ask, I will gladly assist in whatever way I can.

Carl

p.s. No, I do not work for the tourist industry

Quote by CARL View Post
    I know well of your love of Praha...and understand it absolutely...

For those interested, the name of the city itself, Praha, means threshold. At the very heart of Europe, the city was established in a central position from where travel to other major cities is not so difficult (Berlin, Wien etc are just a few hours away). For travellers coming this way, especially those aiming to spend more than a day or two, this is a fact worth noting. A few hours on the train and other fine sites are within reach. But don't short change Prague, for there is plenty here...
    and Dresden is very close, to say nothing of the sites elsewhere in Boehmen but also in Maehren.

The Moravian wine country and the core lands there of Habsburg and such are as historical, nearly, as Prague.

And, my strategic goal is to examine the legacy of Wallenstein, since the burden of all the "scull" thread has made me branch out

into the Thirty Years War.

I also very much want to see Karlsbad, too.

Greetings to Carl and his family in the Bohemian winter.

And, may I say that the local women are astonishing.

I married one (in the former CSSR context), in fact, ergo my gravitational attraction to Central Europe in thick and thin.

With her I am engaged in all the inner workings of Czech and Slovak civilization which has enriched my life greatly.

?

Friedrich-Berthold "and Dresden is very close, to say nothing of the sites elsewhere in Boehmen but also in Maehren."

There are so many places...time is the issue...just never enough!

"I also very much want to see Karlsbad, too."

We took my father there recently...stunning scenery in the region...but many prefer Marienbad (Marianské Lázně) to Karlovy Vary, it is less commercial yet both are places of beauty.

"Greetings to Carl and his family in the Bohemian winter."

Thank you, it is bitterly cold right now, was down to -15c last night and heavy snow due...

"And, may I say that the local women are astonishing."

No arguments there...

"I married one (in the former CSSR context), in fact, ergo my gravitational attraction to Central Europe in thick and thin."

My reason for being here also

"With her I am engaged in all the inner workings of Czech and Slovak civilization which has enriched my life greatly."

Quote by CARL View Post
    These points are very, very true.

If planning a visit, I would suggest avoiding summer...it simply drains you...the crowds are dense...

As with all major cities...sadly, the tourist traps exist...and food, something we all need and mostly enjoy...can be a tricky one in the City of a Thousand Spires...

Anybody reading this and planning to come, do not hesitate to ask, I will gladly assist in whatever way I can.

Carl

p.s. No, I do not work for the tourist industry
    I was advised by a Czech living in Ypres last week to avoid a visit in the summer, maybe I should leave it to say September, I will be seeking your advice if I may ?

Also she mentioned a trip to the village destroyed by the Nazis after the Heydrich assassination be worth while, she mentioned that they built a new village next to the site of the old one ?

Cheers

Cheers

I have been to Prague twice , both times in February and both times it was icy winter weather and blue skies which enhanced its beauty !
    No crowds, everywhere was open ,oh and pretty girls everywhere !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Do wait until after summer...you'll be glad you did...

Certainly, will assist gladly...

The village of Lidice has a fine museum on site. A must see and not far from Prague. Although Ležáky must be noted too...for Lidice was not the only site raised following the death of Heydrich.

There are several threads on the forum that address some of these sites:

Lidice

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after...lezaky-238587/

On The Streets Of The Protectorate - A New Exhibition In Prague

Gestapo HQ Prague

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after...aehren-302339/

Prague Air Museum

The Army Museum in Prague

Quote by CARL View Post

Thank you, I will leave until late August/September perhaps

Cheers

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    I have been to Prague twice , both times in February and both times it was icy winter weather and blue skies which enhanced its beauty !
    No crowds, everywhere was open ,oh and pretty girls everywhere !!

Nick
    Slightly of topic but talking of pretty ladies, I do have an extreme soft spot for the European ladies I have to admit, an old work colleague of mine was half Ukrainian, his father was Ukrainian, he was forced to serve in the Waffen SS during the war ( he did get quite a lot of stick over it )
    He always said the most beautiful ladies are to be found in Odessa ! Has anyone been ? haha

Cheers

Quote by CARL View Post

The village of Lidice has a fine museum on site. A must see and not far from Prague. Although Ležáky must be noted too...for Lidice was not the only site raised following the death of Heydrich.

There are several threads on the forum that address some of these sites:

Lidice

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after...lezaky-238587/

On The Streets Of The Protectorate - A New Exhibition In Prague

Gestapo HQ Prague

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/after...aehren-302339/

Prague Air Museum

The Army Museum in Prague
    Looking forward to it, Jet2 do some nice affordable long weekends

Thanks to Nick, especially Carl and everybody

Cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast