Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WWII History Touring in North Africa?

Article about: Hello everyone, Hopefully this was posted in the correct forum. I have always wanted to visit North Africa and tour some of the historical battle areas of WW2. I realize of course, the North

Default WWII History Touring in North Africa?

Hello everyone,

I have always wanted to visit North Africa and tour some of the historical battle areas of WW2.
    I realize of course, the North Africa campaigns covered extremely vast areas through different countries in the region.
    The war there was very spread out. The land, harsh and arid.
    Touring this part of the world would be very different than a meandering drive through Normandy or Berchtesgaden.

The first country that comes to mind is Libya, but given the current political instability and safety concerns, both the British and United States governments strongly advise against traveling there.

Tunisia is a good option it seems. There aren’t any negative travel advisories in place, and a tourist visa is easy to obtain. Many airlines offer service to Tunis from Europe and elsewhere.

I did a cursory search online for ww2 tours in Tunisia and found a few. All of them mention that the tourist should be physically fit, which tells me there is likely to be plenty of walking, climbing, and uncomfortable weather.

Have any of you had the opportunity to visit these regions or do you have any insight into partaking in something like this?

Would appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

JB

MAP
    ?

Never had the opportunity. But always wanted to go to Tunisia and Morocco. Thousands of year of history in that area
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Dear MAP,

Thank you for your response!
    Yes indeed, there is amazing history in these areas.

Btw, I absolutely love your salutations below each post. “My greatest fear is…”.
    Had me laughing out loud when I first read them! So true!
    We can all relate to that…

JB