Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1st Patt Leaders Railway Dagger ....

Article about: Hi All..... I know these have been discussed over and over again .... However. The one and only for these daggers is supposedly KLASS ... Longer Handle, Blah Blah!! So why is mine any differ

But you are right about the Johnson knot, post war invention.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1st Patt Leaders Railway Dagger ....
    P
    Many

Quote by Anderson View Post
    But you are right about the Johnson knot, post war invention.
    I have one of those Knots. I also have a First model railway, but not by Klass. Mine is an Alcosa and the handle is a very dark purple. Johnson in his book mentioned a purple handle, but never seen any other than the one I have.
    Last edited by Larry C; 09-04-2022 at 01:12 AM.

It's worth remembering Johnson had a close business association with Jim Atwood who diversified into manufacturing parts dagger and inventing some variants. Johnson eventually bought Atwood's entire parts stock. Refer book "Jim Atwood" by Kenneth Alford and on page 223;
    "Then in November 20, 1990, in Berlin Johnson purchased $5,846.50 worth of merchandise from Atwood. The stash consisted of hangers and portapees....."

Atwood was the sort of character who would seek out an original manufacturer to reproduce old designs or invent a variant that didn't actually exist during the Third Reich.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    It's worth remembering Johnson had a close business association with Jim Atwood who diversified into manufacturing parts dagger and inventing some variants. Johnson eventually bought Atwood's entire parts stock. Refer book "Jim Atwood" by Kenneth Alford and on page 223;
    "Then in November 20, 1990, in Berlin Johnson purchased $5,846.50 worth of merchandise from Atwood. The stash consisted of hangers and portapees....."

Atwood was the sort of character who would seek out an original manufacturer to reproduce old designs or invent a variant that didn't actually exist during the Third Reich.
    Atwood off and on has been a topic interest on the forums for years. Some may disagree (or not), but he has been cited on the plus side as the "Father of the Hobby". And on the dark side the most significant (or at least one of the most significant) TR era dagger hoaxers of the 20th century. Well before my time, several years ago at a show I met and had an interesting conversation with one of his sub-dealers that led to some additional later conversations. The fact that a number of decades later that he is still being discussed shows that the poison of the hoaxes (albeit diluted) is still with us. Best Regards, Fred

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Atwood off and on has been a topic interest on the forums for years. Some may disagree (or not), but he has been cited on the plus side as the "Father of the Hobby". And on the dark side the most significant (or at least one of the most significant) TR era dagger hoaxers of the 20th century. Well before my time, several years ago at a show I met and had an interesting conversation with one of his sub-dealers that led to some additional later conversations. The fact that a number of decades later that he is still being discussed shows that the poison of the hoaxes (albeit diluted) is still with us. Best Regards, Fred
    Your right Fred, repeat a lie several times and it becomes true.... (for some )
    Publish a lie in a book, and it will be be hardly impossible to set it straight.......
    Luckily we have a forum here to post our thoughts and update a couple of those hoaxes!

Best
    Ger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2