Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another SG42 original or fake?

Article about: Hello! One day ago I have seen SG42 bayonet. It selling like original item but I'm leaning towards thats it is modern quality repro... What do you think ?

?

Default Another SG42 original or fake?

Hello!
    One day ago I have seen SG42 bayonet.
    It selling like original item but I'm leaning towards thats it is modern quality repro...
    What do you think ?
    Another SG42  original or fake?Another SG42  original or fake?Another SG42  original or fake?
    Another SG42  original or fake?Another SG42  original or fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another SG42  original or fake?
    P
    Many

Better than many repros, but it is one IMO. The multitool is often the easiest to pick as a fake. This one has no maker mark on the can opener blade (should be "1tK" (Robt.Klaas) and the shape of the lever/grip piece is incorrect. Authentic one below;

?

The bayonet S42 from the not extra good pictures details could be period, what is wrong is the tool insert, which is probably a Atlas copy piece.

?

Seller say like multitool is a modern reproduction.
    But bayonet is original...
    Can the bayonet itself be real original ?

I would ask what happened to the original multitool? It's convenient it's missing as the original might also show up as a poor copy.
    There are 3 known generations of post war reproduction; the first was the 1959 Sudan model (made by some Eickhorn family members) then the second generation from the 1960's from which I suspect this comes. The interesting thing is some believe Eickhorn under encouragement from Jim Atwood made this second generation. A 3rd generation of repros made more recently uses other materials such as plastic not bakelite grips.

?

I am not same opinion as Anderson, as the AR10 Sudan pcs was only inspired by S42 and never means a reproduction of S42, it was developed for real contractor and partly used. So this is certainly not a reproduction of S42. there exist already collectors that collect AR10 bayonets of this type.
    The bayonet in this thread presented is normal Eickhorn 1944 production ordered by Wehrmacht, also original as mentioned by seller, the tool insert is probably of Atlas reproduction early 2xxx production, they were made with lowcost and low quality material, they are easy to decipher as reproductions or replicas as they went for 300USD in that period. Unfortunally some "collectors" proof to patinate this and sale it as originals for non skilled collectors.
    In last 50 years existed more fakes or reproduction made on S42 design.

I was not suggesting the production of the 1959 model was an exact copy of the SG42 but it was the start of the post war renewed interest in the design, manufactured by a spinoff company with links to Eickhorn. But it's part of the post war reproduction story as some of the same players could be involved.