Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Artificial Damascus Krebs Dagger

Article about: I picked up a Krebs Marked Dagger Luftwaffe Model 2. It was not in great shape as it had been partially denazified, the grip has a huge crack. Only the scabbard, pommel nut and blade were in

CBH
    ?

Here is a photo of real damascus for reference . Here used in a Navy dagger .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Artificial Damascus Krebs Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Artificial Damascus Krebs Dagger
    P
    Many

I still find it strange that the original poster asked for opinions, based on very crappy photos - and then proceeded to tell everyone that it was real - I mean why ask for opinions if you already knew - It looks like you were testing out the water - personally based on those pictures - and the controversy they attract - I would say the same again -

I have been a collector - and dealer since 1972 and believe me some of the fakes that came out of the Czech Republic about 7 years ago - fooled many - the greedy dealers that thought there were still bargains to be had - I had a couple "in hand" to look at - they were good - make no mistake - air on the side of caution when anything out of the ordinary turns up

[QUOTE=John Brandon;1699733]I still find it strange that the original poster asked for opinions, based on very crappy photos - and then proceeded to tell everyone that it was real - I mean why ask for opinions if you already knew - It looks like you were testing out the water - personally based on those pictures - and the controversy they attract [QUOTE]

I agree and I think it tells a great deal about this forum that those commenting negatively on the dagger posted were not at all hostile and were prepared to take note of third party contribution which differed in assessment. Unlike the OP who was rude and close to being outright offensive.

I wouldn't comment specifically on the dagger other than to say I don't like it as I am not sufficiently knowledgeable on the subject and my opinion comes about the same way as John's. What I would say is that the reaction of the OP when he asked for opinion was out of order and if he is a scholar of the Craig Gottlieb school that is enough of a yardstick for me where he is concerned.

Each to his own eh?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-07-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

CBH
    ?

I see that Wittmann Antique Militaria has a similar example for sale , he doesn't call it fake Damascus and states it's similar to the piece in his book . It looks like a fake to me or at the very least not the same as the real Damascus I posted above . Does he know what he's talking about ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    I see that Wittmann Antique Militaria has a similar example for sale , he doesn't call it fake Damascus and states it's similar to the piece in his book . It looks like a fake to me or at the very least not the same as the real Damascus I posted above . Does he know what he's talking about ?
    This one was pointed out to me as well Chris. My understanding is that the Wittmann example uses a different cross guard, (which I was told is acceptable), but the rest is the same.
    Some of the other info that was sent to me did not correspond to what was posted here by the OP so I did not say anything.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

CBH
    ?

I'm very surprised he calls that Damascus , does anyone else here have an example ?

The photo I posted is mine but the dagger is in a private collection , and I was asked not to post the whole dagger .

I will see if I can post the other photo I have and or have him take more .

Thanks

Chris,

The OP mentioned in his subject like that the dagger was "artificial damascus" which is what that type of blade is called. He didn't call is true damascus.

Artificial damascus utilizes a typical plated blade that has a template applied & is acid etched in a pattern resembling true damascus. In reality though, the two are very different & the resemblance is just passing.

Artificial damascus, according to Tom Wittmann, was not very popular during the 3R & that is why there are far less examples in the collector marketplace, than say, the Voos pattern etched examples.

True damascus is a hand-forged item, far more labor intensive to construct & an entirely different item.

CBH
    ?

I was mistaken it the broader scope , it is an Army dagger he has thats looks like an laser etched Damascus , referring back to the first post it is simply a damascus blade shown . But please look at the Damascus Army dagger in his sales section and tell me what you think .

For me the problem hereis not really that Dagger and its Damascus, its more that attitude... There is really no need to offend or be rude. Its just opinions, nothing more,or less. One cannot come here and start denigrate administrators and experienced members just because they have a different opinion. After all, if the owner feels good with it, then all is more than ok. And to read about Craig Gottlieb hurts my poor eyes..

Quote by danhashman View Post
    For me the problem hereis not really that Dagger and its Damascus, its more that attitude... There is really no need to offend or be rude. Its just opinions, nothing more,or less. One cannot come here and start denigrate administrators and experienced members just because they have a different opinion. After all, if the owner feels good with it, then all is more than ok. And to read about Craig Gottlieb hurts my poor eyes..
    This was my take on the situation. Nothing really to do with the dagger itself. That became a side issue almost immediately because of the attitude and approach of the OP. I would say the hand of friendship and welcome remains extended but the ball is pretty much in his court as the one who was inappropriate in his response.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-09-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3