MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Care for your collection

Article about: Wow, what a brilliant thread, thanks Sam for starting it, I have learnt a lot! I'll be buying myself some of that wax for sure, I only have the one dagger but I want it looked after properly

Default Re: Care for your collection

Wow, what a brilliant thread, thanks Sam for starting it, I have learnt a lot! I'll be buying myself some of that wax for sure, I only have the one dagger but I want it looked after properly. Thanks for all the fantastic info from everyone here, I'm almost ashamed to say that I was going to oil my dagger blade thinking it was the right thing to do!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Care for your collection
    P
    Many

Scary thing about oil including what Ade said is that ,, what ever is wet will eventually dry and over time oil will dry and harden. In turn turning to Verdigris which is dagger blade cancer. If this is left unchecked it will eat through your blade and leave a stain that you can not remove. Same thing happens when an engine seizes up. If you can not protect the runner at least protect the blade with RenWax after cleaning the blade with some Simichrome. Good catch Sandgroper!!

?

wow this stuff smells strong, it reminds me of kerosene or paint thinner. People use this stuff for everything i guess including guns, and tools. I am going to go by every ones word on this one and trust the experienced.

Remember a little goes a long way. Becareful how hard you rub ,, the heavier you rub the brighter the shine! (( In regards to wood only)) Depending upon the condition of my wood grip on my SAs I will lightly rub , so as to give it a slight shine that may look original to the dagger, ,,or how it might of looked 70 years ago. I heavy shine will also protect the grip but will not be matching in condition. Not all my SAs get this application. This Renwax is not like any ordinary wax,, it dries to an acrylic hardness. So its a one time application. Good stuff!!

I'm pleased to say I now have some and will be putting it on my dagger tomorrow after work. I am very glad I found this thread, cheers boys.

Great thread I use renwax my self, but have not yet dared to used it on my kriegsmarine daggert. How will the etching react to the wax ? It would be a shame if the frosting at the bottom of the etch, gets shiny...

I just tried it on one of my parkerized bajonets. I was a bit afraid that it would turn shiny, but wipe of 4-5 times, and the matte look is still there...

HB,, There will be no need for worry as the etch itself is a porous surface,,it would have to take at least 10 times application to even begin to see a shine. It would be the same for the etches on SS/ SA daggers, which are porous surfaces also.

Hi,

I agree with Adrian.

The best protection is a constant température 18/20° C or lower, not higher, 65% air humidity maximum, & manipulate your pièces with cotton gloves.
    Its like a very good old French red wine bottle, no important temperatures margin , normal air humidity, & if not necessary, dont manipulate too often.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3