Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving

Article about: I saw this on Jan C. Still's Luger Forum and after reading it thought it should be posted here as a basic primer in spotting fake post war applied lettering. My appreciation to Sauerfan (Mar

Default A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving

I saw this on Jan C. Still's Luger Forum and after reading it thought it should be posted here as a basic primer in spotting fake post war applied lettering.

My appreciation to Sauerfan (Martin) Sr. Member at the Luger board

"Gentlemen, often, fakers are applying fancy presentation legends to pistols and other objects. Quiet often, they use Black letter or Gothic (in German: Fraktur) typos, because this looks sooo teutonic.

Hopefully, they will continue to do so as this is one of the best things they can do: this is a top trap for making mistakes. On other forums I am a member things like daggers are discussed. The experts there often are discussing details like screws, grips and the like for hours. I don't know anything about daggers but I just need ten seconds to detect a fake because of the blade legend.

You will be able to do so when you know at least the most important rules of the Fraktur typology.

Let us start with the most important rules (fakers trap):

1/ Correct usage of the short s verses the long s.

The is a good explanation on German wikipedia:

Fraktursatz ? Wikipedia

Unfortunately, there is no English equivalent.

In any case:

Rule 1: the long s (looking similar to a f) is used at the beginning and in the middle of a word, while the short s is used only at the end of a word.

Rule 2: sch and stâ always with long s.

Rule 3: Both rules are applicable also for combined words.

Example 1:

The word Wachstube.

This word is a very good example to understand the logic of the long s/short s rules.

What does Wachstube mean? Even in German this is not clear, if written in Latin (Antiqua) letters, as there are two possibilities to divide the word:

Wach-Stube (guard house), or Wachs-Tube (Tube of wax).

If correctly written in Black Letters, the thing would be clear see image #1.

As the long s is used only at the beginning and in the middle of a word, the first example would be divided to Wach-stube

The second example now also should be clear: as the short s is used only at the end of a word, the second possibility can only be divided to Wachs-tube

Example 2:

Let's take the word Befehlsstand (command post) to be divided to Befehls-stand.

Now take a look on the second image. You should know now, why the first three possibilities are wrong.

Example 3:

Let's take a fantasy combination:

Befehlsstand Dr. Schuster (Command post of Dr. Schuster).

OK, shouldn't be a problem now.

Take a look now on the third image - then continue reading.

Now: why is the example on top wrong? Befehlsstand is written correctly, and Schuster is also. Explanation:

2/ Foreign Words and loanwords

Rule #4:

Foreign Words and loanword are always written in Antiqua (Latin letters) and never in Fraktur. As Doktor (abbreviation: Dr.) comes from the Latin language, the Dr. has to be written in Antiqua and not in Black letters.

You will be soon an expert to detect faked inscriptions if you understand the most important rules what shouldn't be a problem.

Best regards, Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving   A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving
    P
    Many

Default Re: A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving

I brought this to the top for discussion..is this information reliable?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry,

i think he is correct, thats how i learned it.

Cheers,
    Ger

Good information! This should be a sticky.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Good information! This should be a sticky.

Done!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I will have to see if I can find it and post them, because in another discussion elsewhere not that long ago, there were some other specific characteristics of the German language in an inscription that got past the supposed U.S. experts that "blessed it" as OK. That a native German speaker picked up on immediately, which corroborated some of the other evidence. Fred

From what i understand that the script and the colloquial language from that period is not used anymore and the language deemed as "Old German" can not be translated anymore except by those who study it. They are the last outpost to Deciphering and translating past text. If anyone can find this type of text,,this would be a greatly valued tool to refer to. Regards Larry

If your NPEA dagger was not made by Eickhorn, it's a fake

Fake etching on the E-pack dress bayonet:

1.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving   A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving  

A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving   A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving  

A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving   A Good Primer on Spotting Fake Eching/engraving  

2.)