Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is this Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife genuine?

Article about: Hello, Is this Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife genuine? Thanks

Default Real but real beat too.

Greetings,

Looks an original example to me, however whomever took those photos has really gone out of their way to minimize the viewing angle towards determining just how much wear (read: sharpening) the blade has endured over its (very) hard life. Very good conditioned originals of this knife's type are not particularly hard to obtain. As such, that well-worn blade pretty much tanks its value as a collector's example.

That said, there is the "well-worn" and "salty" crowd who desire such examples, which "drip of history" and having "been there." Personally, when I hear someone communicate those sentiments, I really think it is simply what they could afford to purchase at the time. My recommendation if you are considering buying it is to pass and wait for a nicer example to come along. If the posted knife belonged to a relative or is somehow a family related piece; treasure it for eternity, just don't believe you have something of great worth to a WWI knife collector.....unless they like 'em salty.

Best,

V/r Lance
    Last edited by MilitariaOne; 05-05-2022 at 06:06 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife genuine?
    P
    Many

Quote by MilitariaOne View Post
    Greetings,

Looks an original example to me, however whomever took those photos has really gone out of their way to minimize the viewing angle towards determining just how much wear (read: sharpening) the blade has endured over its (very) hard life. Very good conditioned originals of this knife's type are not particularly hard to obtain. As such, that well-worn blade pretty much tanks its value as a collector's example.

That said, there is the "well-worn" and "salty" crowd who desire such examples, which "drip of history" and having "been there." Personally, I when I hear someone communicate those sentiments, I really think it is simply what they could afford to purchase at the time. My recommendation if you are considering buying it is to pass and wait for a nicer example to come along. If the posted knife belonged to a relative or is somehow a family related piece; treasure it for eternity, just don't believe you have something of great worth to a WWI knife collector.....unless they like 'em salty.

Best,

V/r Lance
    Were originals marked "Germany" in English?

Default McKinley Tariff Act of 1890

Yes, when they were imported into the USA after WWI. Please, visit here and read post #28.

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Best,

V/r Lance

Quote by Historical18 View Post
    How do i link it to 3rd reich edged weapons forum? Thanks
    I moved it with a 1 day redirect. Enjoy
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Bit late to the party, but a personal favorite of mine, and Lance has again made a great call. The "Germany" mark does throw off a few buyers, as Lance points out a large export trade to the US during the Weimar Republic had all Solingen makers marking "Germany" on their scissors, knives and other blades. So Imperial era made, exported post war.
    This one has a nice original scabbard, but a very worn over used blade. The blade profile has been reshaped incorrectly. Discount price offered due to blade condition.

Is this Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife genuine?

Default Please see photos below

Thanks Larry, had issues navigating back to this page. Here is the photos of the full length of the blade/knife. So that "GERMANY" stamp/mark is perfectly normal for a authentic period german trench knife? ThankyouIs this Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife genuine?Is this Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife genuine?Is this Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife genuine?Is this Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife genuine?Is this Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife genuine?Is this Gottlieb Hammesfahr Trench Knife genuine?

Thanks Anderson. Can you please see the full blade and comment to. They very rare to find in Australia where i found this one. Thanks

I've already commented on the blade. It's badly out of shape. To me, despite be authentic the value is greatly reduced. I would wait for a better one.

Thankyou for your advice, i bought it anyway. They hard to find in Australia and also hard to order from overseas.
    If you ever come across a good example for sale, please let me know. Out of interest what would you place the value at?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2