Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knife

Article about: Hi chaps, I'm after a little help ID'ing this bayonet/knife. My grandfather was a F/L in 140 squadron during WW2, and acquired this either whilst at Melsbroek airbase, Belgium, or Eindhoven,

?

Default Looking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knife

Looking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knifeLooking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knifeLooking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knifeLooking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knifeLooking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knifeLooking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knifeLooking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knife

Hi chaps, I'm after a little help ID'ing this bayonet/knife.

My grandfather was a F/L in 140 squadron during WW2, and acquired this either whilst at Melsbroek airbase, Belgium, or Eindhoven, Netherlands.

It was in awful condition - no scabbard and he'd apparently been using it to open paint tins... I removed the rust (and paint) with brass wire but this is as far as I'll go. I have no concerns over de-valuation, just damaging it.

I'm aware the manufacturer is WKC, made in '38, but I can't identify the model.

Markings:
    - O.5542.k (w/ serifs)
    - W.K.C (serif on C)

- 1455 k (w.serifs)

- 38 (on spline)

No accompanying scabbard.
    blade length 18.5 cm, overall length 28.5 cm.
    Can't get the scales off, as one of the screws is spinning its bolt.
    Unremarkable flash guard.
    Double edged, appears the spline edge has been ground over the fuller.
    Can't tell whether the blade was blued or just oxidised from rust.

Any ideas?
    Many thanks in advance!

Admins, please move/delete as appropriate.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Looking for assistance identifying ostensibly German bayonet/knife
    P
    Many

?

The remnants of a German S84/98 III (“98k”) bayonet, that has been heavily modified. Pommel cut off, blade shape changed. Here you can find how it originally looked: k98 bayonets data and registry

The O- marking (Ost See) on the cross guard points to Kriegsmarine (navy) use.

?

Ah! no wonder I couldn't ID the model then... It'd be fascinating to learn why it was modified - I'm guessing re-purposed for a flight crew or someone towards the end of the war. I'll never know.

Thanks so much for your help on this!

Hi there.

A really interesting piece, thanks for sharing it with us.

I had a search and found another modified German bayonet here on the forum.

K98 Bayonet Modified into fighting Knife -

K98 Bayonet Modified into fighting Knife by US soldier - markings on hilt

There are also some interesting examples I found by searching google with 'modified k98 bayonet fighting knife'.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

A lot of work was done here on that piece, could be captured and reworked to a dagger as mentioned, normally it started as a S84/98 made in 1938 by WKC with Ostsee KM inventory number, similar should be on matching scabbard marked.

?

Fascinating! I'm very happy to share, glad others have found it interesting too!

all the best!