MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Nahkampfmesser comparison. Have I been duped?

Article about: Hi knife part of the forum, I hope you are doing well. Today I received a close combat knife in the mail. I picked it up without the scabbard but it was for a moderately good price. On the p

?

Question Nahkampfmesser comparison. Have I been duped?

Hi knife part of the forum,

I hope you are doing well. Today I received a close combat knife in the mail. I picked it up without the scabbard but it was for a moderately good price.
    On the pictures it looked legit, even though the blade was not perfect and there was no weapon stamp/ marker. I read a bit in my book on combat knifes: "German military Knives - Gordon Hughes" and decided and the lack of a Waffenambt was not a big deal. The factory of the marked ones is even unknown.

I already own a LW Nahkampfmesser with scabbard. Marked with a bird and a 5. I like this one a lot.
    Comparing the two pieces I notice a few things:

- The crossguard looks less thick and looks to be from brass compared to the LW knife.
    - The new blade is of a lower quality (ofcourse without a scabbard it corrodes) but the details of the blade (the zig zag pattern for a lack of better words) seem less deep and general more crappy.
    - The LW Blade on the right has a beautiful walnut grip and feels like quality work. The wooden grip on the new one (left) looks of a lower quality.
    - The rivets on the grip extend/ protrude more on the new one.

Nahkampfmesser comparison. Have I been duped? Nahkampfmesser comparison. Have I been duped?
    Nahkampfmesser comparison. Have I been duped? Nahkampfmesser comparison. Have I been duped?

Can anyone comment on these non maker marked combat knifes? Am I being paranoid here or is there cause for general concern? Thank you for any input and reading this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nahkampfmesser comparison. Have I been duped?
    P
    Many

The one on the left is a copy.
    The blade grind is wrong as are the rivets in the handle.
    That's enough for me.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thank you Ralph. This is what I was afraid of. Thank you for your input.
    Hopefully I can return it.

No scabbard is a "non-starter" for me, I just walk away. That's because the blades can be made with relatively common and simple equipment. The scabbards are another matter and where many of the postwar manufactured examples fail. Best Regards, Fred

Excellent point Fred, applies to most fighting knives,...no scabbard is a red flag.

?

Returned to the seller for a full refund.