Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Near Perfect Edged Weapon Reproductions

Article about: Yeah, Mercator as a brand is legit. Somebody just ruined a knife sticking those pooh fake TR markings on there. The brand has exsisted since the late 1800s. Its believed, that these were for

Hey guys!
    Came across this Heer damascus blade in one facebook group where a guy was asking about authenticity. Im not sure where Ive read it Im pretty sure it was on this forum someone mentioned that hole in tang is sign of Pakistan modern damascus blade. No makers mark no stamp on tang just this ugly hole. Correct me if I'm wrong I would say the parts can be original but blade is repro.

EDIT: Correction. I found information hole in tang is in Atwood's post war daggers. The damascus was supplied by P. Müller and his student R. Kurtan.
    Near Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon Reproductions
    Last edited by Drambejz; 11-21-2021 at 03:36 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Near Perfect Edged Weapon Reproductions
    P
    Many

Many years ago I got burned on an etched Luftwaffe blade. I was made aware of 1 glaring mistake made on both Heer & Luftwaffe etched daggers and found out that the blades and accessories were original but the etching was post war, done in Spain.

Note the red circles in the image of the 1st post of this thread, 1 on the left the 2 bars are not connected, the 2 bars on the right are. I pointed this out a few years ago at WAF & the comments were glaringly in error. and that error was on the etched dagger I was burned on.

Comments like Germans were not perfect and made errors....I chuckled at that one. If your in the camp to accept that error is acceptable, well.....good for you.

Please understand, era produced etched daggers, both Luftwaffe and Heer were expensive items at time of purchase. Only so many were made and post war some people saw the light to fill the need of want and desire to own 1 of these daggers. And German blade producers did not accept etch errors as their work and produced pieces were of the highest caliber possible.

The link just below to the WAF post shows another post war produced deceiver in the first images while another in B & W images shows an original with blade blemish issues due to aging and what look like runner tounge & carbon steel blade reactivity due to differing metals.

Voos Army Engraved Dagger - is it authentic? -

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

i
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Near Perfect Edged Weapon Reproductions  
    Last edited by Rich Moran; 11-20-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Default SA Clemen&Jung Damascus reproduction Dagger by Atwood

Description to this dagger at dealer's website:

Major Jim Atwood was one of the pioneers of Third Reich dagger collecting. During the 1950's while stationed in Germany he would travel to the blade making region of Solingen buying up daggers and surplus unused stocks of dagger parts. From these parts he constructed many daggers. Some were conventional "parts daggers" but others were made up with the addition of newly made parts. Jim Atwood was a true pioneer in the hobby of Third Reich Dagger collecting. No true reference book was available when he wrote his in 1962. It was the only reference where information concerning the origin of the daggers and the companies that manufactured them which also identified some of the many daggers types for the first time.

This particular example of a wonderful SA Presentation dagger appears to be mostly original. In fact all parts appear to be German WWII produced except for the Damascus blade. The blade, simply stated, is a fake that was made to deceive. It is exceptional looking and therefore will be a very interesting addition to any collection. The blade is marked by Clemen & Jung of Solingen with Z logo in gold. On front side is a gold "Alles fur Deutschland" and on the other side it reads; "Treue um Treue SA Oberfuhrer". Oh, if only it were real!!!

Sold for $895

Near Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon ReproductionsNear Perfect Edged Weapon Reproductions

that B&A was a postwar mark wasn't it? they also produced SA daggers with no scabbard to sell to GIs.

oops I should have kept reading the thread 😉 the very next post said as much. And I can't delete my post.

I'd forgotten about this thread and after reviewing the images of everything in it again, new collectors take the time to attend shows if you can. Find reputable dealers who are straight shooters and buy the reference books that have detailed images so if and when that time comes your armed with whats needed to make a wise decision.

Don't listen to people who say "new information has been found regarding blah, blah, blah."

WWII was over in 1945 and by 1950 what ever information was found is fact. Everything after that is fiction. While some inventories of parts and documentation may have been found by the T. Johnsons in who canvassed Solingen blade producers most everything is comes from manure spreader dealers.

And yes, I've heard the "new information" BS from blowhard dealers, one who is supposedly "well respected" (not Wittman either) who only interest is selling junk if he can make a huge profit on it.

Some time back there was a Japanese blade dealer in Honolulu that dabbled in firearms as well as Third Reich blades. We met at the Hawaii Historic Arms Society gun shows and from these shows I was fortunate to become the go to for Third Reich artifacts. Not trying to make me more than what I am, but I was fortunate that other society members held me with that esteem as honesty comes with the burden of mess up once, word gets out so you best be darn sure about what your doing or say "I don't know".

The Japanese blade dealer called me to say "I have a client who wants to sell his collection and have the collection here in my condo". So I visited him at his condo in Waikiki. He had several Third Reich era blades spread out on his bed, and I started looking and in short order became overwhelmed by the number of blades there was to inspect. There was a good 30 or maybe more.

So I made a deal with him, I'd write a check for several blades at the price he was asking as long as he'd accept a post dated check. I wrote the date 5 days in advance of the date I visited him on. Brought
    10 daggers home, and set them aside as it was about 10PM on a Friday night.

The next 2 following days I git to inspect very closely what they were. I used T. Johnsons reference books as well sales catalogs from Wittman and Reproduction, Recognition which the book has errors in it full well knowing what the last book was & what the errors were as at that time the internet was becoming more of a reference point if memory serves me correct. Getting old and fringe benefits, lol.

From these works I could discern they were all reproductions and the guy who owned them was either using the blade dealer to market the daggers or the blade dealer bought them and was trying to sell them. I called him on Sunday and advised him that after several hours invested in researching the daggers that not a single one was good. Worst part is he had about another 20 or so daggers to try to move. I asked, I'd like to come by and show you why as well as pick up the post dated check.

I spent several hours with him showing him what I'd discovered. Well, I got my check back.

At the following Hawaii Historic Arms Society gun show I saw him and asked "what ever happened with the daggers?" He advised he took them to a mainland show and sold all of them!

The reference books set me back a few hundred dollars but ended up saving me thousands of dollars. I can't say I felt sorry for the buyers of those daggers who ever they might of been, it's a world loaded with sharks preying on ignorance which is pretty darned coarse in the thought.

But the truth is ignorance can cause a lot of grief but can be avoided with proper study and if possible hands on inspecting of daggers from a trustworthy dealer at shows or their place of business.

After reviewing the images in this thread, well, the mistakes made by these con artists are glaring, some not so suttle and others are. Learn all you can because if you end up inspecting an offering and are put on the spot for either buying now or passing it up, that's when the real payoff comes.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18