Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance

Article about: Hello Gents,, just a reminder to all collectors of Edged Weapons,, to take a look at the blade and metal fittings in your collection. Take notice to see if there is any dirt , overlooked fin

Default Re: Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance

Thanks Gents,, I will post a couple more heart break images as the damage has already been done. I opted out last night not to sign into the forum and spend time checking my daggers. I photographed at a high image setting the end result after cleaning,, and it almost looks like a steel eating bacteria. You can see the pitting and the depressed trail marks that it left. I will post photos tonight of this heinous sight. I found on my SS dagger, just a small vein of that black stuff. I quickly removed it! Although the end result can not be seen with the eye...under a loop it is a horror story.
    I will take your advice Steve and Wolfgang,,,and watch my steps during the summer months.
    This bothers the S**t out of me as we all work very hard to acquire and to preserve these pieces of history,, and something as simple as this to happen! All I can say for myself and to others,, just as a reminder... closely monitor more so as stated above.. just to wipe down and spend time. take nothing or granted,, EVERYTHING ages.
    I am also at odds with a thread i started on Solingen steel vs Krupp steel,, as what i have noticed of these pitting spots are the impurities in the steel that makes it easy to break off as the original owners done at the end of the war.
    Could these impurities have something to do also with the pitting we see,, as what Wolfgang stated? makes me wonder.
    We also see pimpling in some of the mottos of some of the makers. I noticed this more with the Thuringia makers. Anyway I will post 2 images tonight after work. Thanks for the thoughts. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance
    P
    Many

Here are the 2 photos pertaining to the pitting that practically surfaced over night. Hard to imagine this to happen. I feel as though the "after the cleaning process" was not enough as after I applied the Renwax,, a "biosphere" type of effect was created to let this bacteria mutate. So??? What now?? Should there be a need to go back and remove all the renwax by using simi chrome and carefully wiping it down with excess amount of cloths,, and hope for the best again that this does not happen again? Truly this is very disappointing. here are the 2 photos and hopefully they can be used as a reference to watch out for when performing preservation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance   Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

YIKES!!!!!!!! Thats horrible.

?

Makes me think of how the scabbard looks like inside.. Loaded with tiny metal eating particles from Hell.

When we see how quickly these spots grew on the blade, we should almost rename this thread to ""Metal Ebola""

Larry, I am not a fan of disassembling any part of a dagger. I think in your case it may be wise to remove and clean the runners. It is surprising how much corrosive gunk can build up against the high ridged of the runners. One of the other forums has a very good thread on disassembly & cleaning.

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,, yes it is a horror how much junk can accumulate inside mostly from oil that dries over time. Here is one photo as I know very well there are 2 threads about dissasmbely and cleaning and one which I wrote myself and in the process of editing some text from it and bringing it to this forum. Below if you have not already seen it from a past post is a scabbard runner that is just that!
    The scabbard runner of the WKC SA dagger, had only a tiny mark on it, on the high ridge point of the runner. Most of the cancer was on the dagger blade. I want to place in the correct order the photos pertaining to this type of scabbard take down,,and yes it is not recommended if one doesnt have the time and patience. If done correctly from beginning to end it is a 3 hour process. Here is one photo from this future thread. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance  

Sorry to see this happen Larry but is has ben a very informative thread thanks.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

these rust spiders can occur very quickly- to prevent- clean the blade meticulously, usually just hot water will suffice-dry it with clean towels until bone dry- spray with a silicone spray, let it drip dry - if compulsive spray and drip dry again- will not rust- Mike

Hey Gents,,while the weather is cool in some areas around the world,,now would be a good time to inspect your blades. Cold dry conditions outside effect the same on the inside of a home as no humidity will be peresrnt unless you are near a bay on ocean areas. For those in the cold dry areas...wiping down and applying a coat of Renwax would be best as no moisture will get trapped beneath the wax coating. Just a reminder to double check your History period. Regards Larry

ETF
    ?

Hello Gentlemen, A fellow collector uses hoof oil to wipe finger prints and dust off his sword and dagger blades. He says it kills bacteria. Has anyone used hoof oil to wipe blades or heard of this?

Ed

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast