Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Red Cross Hewer

Article about: Love the cross grain and design this Red Cross Hewer brings to the collection. Great minty piece of history. Saw backs are my favorite blade and love those staggered teeth.

?

Default Red Cross Hewer

Love the cross grain and design this Red Cross Hewer brings to the collection. Great minty piece of history. Saw backs are my favorite blade and love those staggered teeth.

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer

Red Cross Hewer
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Cross Hewer
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Wow Kirk. A near perfect example
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Lovely blade and photos. Find it interesting that the S98/05 sawbacks often had the teeth ground off. Yet, these great DRK hewers once again have them. Would like to learn something from the experts.

?

Quote by weller View Post
    Lovely blade and photos. Find it interesting that the S98/05 sawbacks often had the teeth ground off. Yet, these great DRK hewers once again have them. Would like to learn something from the experts.
    I wish I knew greater detail. I know they were introduced late 1938 December and they quit producing in 1940. I have seen only a few of the Enlisted Man Hewer in wear in photos. The officer version there are more pictures. I am sure these were more for dress, ceremonies and parades but I am sure there was some used in the field but they sure seem a little fancy. Here is one in wear on the DRK man’s left hip in a photo from one of my DRK books. Rarely see Photos so if someone has them please post up more.

Red Cross Hewer

?

Being a Red Cross hewer the point was removed so as to not being confused with a dagger or weapon since Red Cross were not supposed to carry weapons. The saw back was there for cutting splints and wood for splints.

?

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    Being a Red Cross hewer the point was removed so as to not being confused with a dagger or weapon since Red Cross were not supposed to carry weapons. The saw back was there for cutting splints and wood for splints.
    Here is some good data as well:

The German Red Cross was recognized in accordance with the agreement of Geneva dated July 27th 1929. The first formal uniforms were established on August 6th 1935. The leader and subordinate daggers were introduced in 1938.

The rules from the Geneva convention brought restrictions to the Red Cross side arms unlike any applied to other branches who used daggers as part of their uniforms. The Geneva rules indicated that members of the Red Cross of any country engaged in fighting could not wear any weapons while performing their humanitarian duties. The idea was that not carrying a weapon would afford a certain level of protection to red Cross personnel during combat operations. They should not be fired upon by enemy forces.

The blade of the red cross subordinate hewer is one of the most interesting aspects of the dagger. In terms of dagger blades it is massive and menacing looking. It is of chromed finish. It has a double-tooth serrated back that covers approximately 85 percent of the length of the blade. The tip ends abruptly in a straight cut, which was done this way in order to comply with the requirements of the Geneva convention. if the tip was pointed then it would be considered a weapon.

This dagger is one of the few that had a double purpose. It was worn at special events such as dinner parties, weddings, parades, etc. but it was also carried into the battlefield where the serrated edge proved very useful to remove casts, construct splints, removing limbs, etc.

?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Here is some good data as well:

The German Red Cross was recognized in accordance with the agreement of Geneva dated July 27th 1929. The first formal uniforms were established on August 6th 1935. The leader and subordinate daggers were introduced in 1938.

The rules from the Geneva convention brought restrictions to the Red Cross side arms unlike any applied to other branches who used daggers as part of their uniforms. The Geneva rules indicated that members of the Red Cross of any country engaged in fighting could not wear any weapons while performing their humanitarian duties. The idea was that not carrying a weapon would afford a certain level of protection to red Cross personnel during combat operations. They should not be fired upon by enemy forces.

The blade of the red cross subordinate hewer is one of the most interesting aspects of the dagger. In terms of dagger blades it is massive and menacing looking. It is of chromed finish. It has a double-tooth serrated back that covers approximately 85 percent of the length of the blade. The tip ends abruptly in a straight cut, which was done this way in order to comply with the requirements of the Geneva convention. if the tip was pointed then it would be considered a weapon.

This dagger is one of the few that had a double purpose. It was worn at special events such as dinner parties, weddings, parades, etc. but it was also carried into the battlefield where the serrated edge proved very useful to remove casts, construct splints, removing limbs, etc.
    The interesting thing with this is that technically Officers would not be allowed to help with humanitarian duties and would have to remove their sidearms (dagger) if they were to assist with medical aid. I have several pictures with EM working on people while officers are standing in the back ground or standing above giving directions.