Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog

Article about: I recently purchased this and didn't know it was over sized when I bought it. Just wanted to know if you guys thought it was in fact a red cross hewer frog or what it could be for. Photos sh

Default Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog

I recently purchased this and didn't know it was over sized when I bought it. Just wanted to know if you guys thought it was in fact a red cross hewer frog or what it could be for. Photos show it is way to big for K-98 so any help would be appreciated.

Derek

This is what I believe it to be but not sure.
    Wittmann Militaria #36445C Red Cross Hewer Frog
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog   Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog  

Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog   Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog
    P
    Many

?

Hi Derek,

yours is indeed a DRK Hewer frog.
    Here a similar one with the same stitch pattern as yours.
    Regards,
    Ger
    Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frogRed Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog

Thanks Garrit!!!! I appreciate the help.

Hey Garrit just wanted to know what you thought of this opinion someone else told me on the side?

Hi. The frog you have is for the 1930's and WW2 period re-issued and re-worked 98/05 WW1 bayonet. These bayonets were issued to Police and Air force units just before and during WW2. The Red Cross frog has a single central stitch line down the middle, not a 'V' or 'Y' shape stitch that is found on 98/05 bayonet frogs. The Red Cross frog has a more square shape to the lower front piece as well, not tapered as on the 98/05 frog, and are of a similsr size. I have both! Your WW2 period 98/05 frog still has value as not many were produced and your one looks in very good condition, hard to find in that state. Best regards,

?

The 98/05 is in size not that big as a DRK hewer, the pics i posted showed a nice fit on that Hewer.
    Im prety sure the 98/05 scabbard will not have a tight fit at all, but he thats just my opinion.
    The 98/05 frogs especially the WW1 are normally date marked properly, the drk's often lack markings, like the one you show.
    But what he's saying about being issuid to LW and Police and it slightly different shape makes sense

Eitherway its a nice frog, moneywise i dont think that it will be more value for a drk then a 98/05 or visa versa

Try to fit it on a Hewer & on a 98/05 then you will see what fits best.

Ill put my money on the DRK.
    To be sure you can of course download a few 98/05 frog pics and compare them with yours...
    Its Always possible that the DRK had this frog from old 98/05 stock and has been used while there was great shortness...
    In that case...i loose

Regards,
    Ger

?

This Klaas DRK hewer came straight from a vets family, i owned it.
    It does not show the standard stich pattern like most DRK frogs do, and its shows the tapering shape....

So hard to tell, aint it?
    Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frogRed Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog

Hey Gerrit i just spotted a maker on the back of the frog! It is FRANZ BREHME WALSRODE 1941. I had to hold it really close to a bright light and turn it to see. Do you still think it is a red cross

?

Ron Wienand says this about your frog on the WAF forum:
    This is a M98/05 frog from the WW2 period. Some M98/05s were reissued, like those to the RLM and other units in the late 1930s and early WW2 years.

That would make sense if it would be a Unit stamp, it sure doesnt make sense stamping a new Makers name into it.
    Normally the reissued stock would have been at the Military depots and not at the factory after some 25 years, to me that doesnt make sense.
    I still think its a DRK frog, made in the same way they did in WW1, they used the old stich pattern.
    But lets say: they can be used either way, they fit on a DRK and a 98/05 butchers bayo....you take your pick
    Here a sound example:
    Regards,
    Ger
    Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frogRed Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frogRed Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog

I have the same FRANZ BREHME WALSRODE marking as the one Ger posts, but with a 1942 date and steel washers/aluminum rivets. As well as at least one wartime photo of 98/05 bayonets being carried in the field. Said frog being about .7 cm wider at the back than a standard 84/98 bayonet frog from the same maker. With this old image from a different discussion that I hope gives a visual perspective.

PS: I don't know if I still have it, but I also had an unmarked(?) center line stitched early black I believe aluminum riveted frog that I was thinking for some reason (that I don't recall at the moment) might be German Police. With that frog just a little smaller than the 1942 example, but in my estimation noticeably too large for an 84/98 (98K). Best Regards to All, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Cross Hewer Frog??? Or big K-98 frog  

Hey does anybody know the width of a red cross hewer scabbard and the width of the 98/05 scabbard?

Thanks in advance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast