Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RED Cross leader dagger

Article about: Hello.I looked at several RED CROSS leader daggers today.Most had the same defect on the pommel screw.You can see in the picture.The screw itself is not damaged. What causes this defect? Doe

?

Default RED Cross leader dagger

Hello.I looked at several RED CROSS leader daggers today.Most had the same defect on the pommel screw.You can see in the picture.The screw itself is not damaged.
    What causes this defect? Does it reduce the price of a dagger or not to buy such a red cross leader dagger?Please give an opinion.
    Thanks Georgi.RED Cross leader dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RED Cross leader dagger
    P
    Many

Hi Georgi...any defect that may be incurred during original production from the use of either malformed die or foundry materials used in creating the fittings and does not detract from the value of the dagger...only if something happened to it postwar would it devalue the Edged weapon.

To purchase a Red Cross leader dagger ...you would want to examine ,study and compare to an original example.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Larry, Thanks for the opinion.
    I looked at many such daggers that are claimed to be genuine as always. I also looked at the examples in the forum. I stopped at two daggers, but both have such a pommel defect. In one example the detail of the emblem on the crossguard is deeper and clearer, while the other example does not have as much detail on the emblem. As far as I understand the example with more detail is preferred and is produced by PDL. I am waiting to receive more pictures for this example.
    Regards Georgi.

You may want to check with other examples ...as the spanner screw from the examples I have seen all sit flush with the pommel.
    There is also differences in the crossguard eagle that need to be examined as well..s ince we can not comment on what we dont see..
    Just a thought .

Forum Member M.E.E ...knows these Red cross daggers very well and can further comment.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Larry, Here are some pictures I have right now. I have asked for detailed photos. If I get them I will upload them. The dagger has some flaws, but I think it's good.

Thanks Georgi.RED Cross leader daggerRED Cross leader daggerRED Cross leader dagger

?

Here are some more pictures.

Georgi.RED Cross leader daggerRED Cross leader daggerRED Cross leader daggerRED Cross leader daggerRED Cross leader dagger

?

The dagger itself is a good PDL, the issue is that it has been taken apart at some point and wasn't put back together again right. These have 2 locking brass nuts on the interior of the handle assemble. These nuts are about 2-4mm each and help to take the stress off the handle when assembling since they give easily, you can see the crack in the handle and the depth of the screw show it is missing at least one. Nice dagger still though.

?

Hi M.E.E. Thank you for your opinion.
    I like the dagger even though it is not in perfect condition. However, I have not seen such a dagger except in pictures. Your opinion is helpful for me. Would you get this dagger for your collection?
    Do you have pictures of such a dagger disassembled so we can see the missing locking brass nuts? Other manufacturers lack a lot of emblem detail. Probably many of them are fake. Can you show a real example from another manufacturer. I've noticed that many of the scabbards on the other examples I've looked at are mirrored or highly polished. This is also a problem.
    Thanks Georgi.

?

Here is a video The PROPPER way to take down a DRK or Social Welfare Leader Dagger! - YouTube of a PDL made Red Cross leaders dagger. The teardown will be the same for all known makers. Both the one you posted and the one in the video are manufactured by PDL with the one you posted being a Social Welfare and the video one being a Red Cross leaders. The dagger themselves are the same but the scabbards are the difference DRK leaders having square hanger holes and SW having round hanger leaders.

The other main manufacture of these is a Klaas and it they are actually known to have very soft features including no legs and the feet being soft, the head also softer, they have a larger softer cross and they have round edge roundel. Here is an example Red Cross Leader Dagger | Lakesidetrader of a good Klaas. This site is actually really good to look at examples and they can be found under the archives. PDL have very sharp crisp features, including visible legs, small sharp edged cross, and sharp roundel like this great example Red Cross Officer / Leader Dagger.

As for fakes there are two categories of them, this first is chinese fakes, these are very poor, have a long straight (instead of bulged) handle and shouldn't fool anyone who has ever looked at these. The other is a different beast and can be harder to tell and seem to combine a combination both a klaas and a PDL and can be seen here Red cross leader dagger original? with the easiest tell of a large softer cross found on a Klaas but legs showing like a PDL. With that said I have encountered less than .05% of the leaders I have catalogued being fake (not counting chinese).

As for this blade it is a fine blade, a few flaws but if the price was right there would be no issues adding it to my collection. As for the mirror finish, there are two finishes, a grey and a mirror and I have an inclination that the grey finish was an earlier version of the dagger but there is no way to prove this but there is some circumstantial evidence that might point that way. With both the grey and mirror they often are the same through the entire dagger ie handle and scabbard more grey or more mirror. Personally I like the eagle on PDL more than the Klaas eagle, but there is some thought that the PDL daggers are more prone to breakage.

Hope this answers some questions.

?

Thanks for the thorough answer and your time!

Regards georgi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast